Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Positive thinking

You know I try so hard when I'm going about my daily business to think positive and always try and see the best in people, but sometimes it's just so darn hard! I like to have at least three things at the end of the day that I'm grateful for or happy about. Most of the time I manage it, but as I get older I find it increasingly difficult to do! Is anyone else like me?

I try to do my best and most of the time it gets slapped back in my face, but do I give up? No. Because I keep looking for that one redeeming quality in someone, something that leaps out at me and says, "Hey, you were wrong about me!" But sometimes I think you just have to admit defeat and concede that not everyone is as nice or honest or as caring as I am. There are people out there who will hurt you or try to take advantage of you and not show a shred of remorse or worry about it. They are out to get what they can and don't care who they take down in the process. Worst are the ones who claim to be on your side but then you realise they're just two faced and tell you one thing but do another. It's a crazy world we live in!

I've begun to notice that most of posts are on the cynical and negative ranting side! So I'm going to endeavour to make my posts as positive as I can. Try and cancel out some of that negativity in my life and banish those people who wind me up or show disrespect from my life.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

You're so right. I'm a great believer in positive thinking and not letting other people's negativity and low self-esteem impact on my frame of mind.

I find that smiling and standing tall always helps, whatever the situation.

I also think that the saying 'what goes around comes around' is true. So don't worry about the two-faced and dishonest people out there - Karma will sort them out without you having to do a thing.

Guilty as charged on the odd ranting post - but, like you, I'm doing my best to be positive.

:-)

Julie P said...

Thanks Suzanne, and nice to meet you. It's so hard sometimes to let things go sometimes isn't it, especially when you know you've done the right thing and those who have done wrong just get away with it or just don't care. Maybe you're right about Karma. It's my only hope!

Jaye said...

Completely agree with you, I have to take a stand and be honest in those situations - doesn't always do any good, but it's liberating!

Julie P said...

It certainly is liberating. Got to stand up for what you believe in and not let anyone take advantage of you or ridicule you because they don't know any better. I think this is particularly true if the person doing wrong doesn't seem to care and just laughs it off. You've got to keep going and wear them down until they stop doing wrong. I'm currently having a struggle with my daughter's school and a certain mother who thinks it's okay to swear and shout in front of other people's kids out side the nursery door.I complained to the head teacher who assured me she wouldn't tolerate it and would sort it out. What do I hear the next day? The mother bragging about how the headteacher was getting her these free courses and getting free child care for her other son and how the mother cried in front of the headteacher abd gave her the usual sob story. She was ridiculing the head teacher and me standing there wagging her finger and saying "don't swear now coz Mrs ***** the head teacher doesn't like it." She's still swearing now. What kind of a message does that send out to the kids and other parents? What message does it give to her? Swear as much as you like and you won't even get told off but you'll get all this free help and stuff and everyone else can go to hell! That's what it says! Needless to say I shall be up at the head teachers office on Monday to find out what really happened and to let the headteacher know what the mother thinks of her authority! Oh dear, and I said I was going to more positive, but you see how life gets in the way?!!