Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 15 January 2009

Writing

I was pleased to see on my writing group's newsletter that I had come first in the December Chairman's challenge. We have to write to a subject or a phrase a poem or story in 1oo words or under. We had been on a writers' retreat in Wales in November and my winning entry was inspired by that. I was really excited by it. Okay, it's not a short story published in a magazine or a published novel or article in a magazine, but it's a start. I would advise other writers that if they're able they should go on retreat. You don't have to go far or for long - the one I was on was for five days. You can go away by yourself but I found it very inspiring and helpful to be around other writers. The advice and encouragement I recieved from them was brilliant and definately has given me the confidence and the drive to carry on my writing.

My aim for the coming couple of weeks is to get some more short stories out there. I have so many ideas for stories I find it difficut to just switch off and relax. Does anyone else wake up in the middle of the night and have to write their ideas down in a notebook by torch light?! I can never read what I've written though!

I hope that you realise your dream too and get something published - if that's what you want. I will keep you posted on my progress - good or bad, and hopefully post some advice on what I've found helpful along the way.

See you soon!

4 comments:

Jaye said...

Congrats on the Chairman's challenge, I'm a big fan of writing micro fiction :)

And yes, with the middle of the night jottings! 'Cept I jot in the dark - I get enough grief for the pencil scratching, dread to think what would happen if I put a torch on! Trying to decipher it the next day just adds to the fun! Really.

Julie P said...

It's amazing how the little wins help with the self confidence isn't it. Having to pare your writing down to 100 words or less is a good challenge and certainly ensures that every word counts.It's good practice. I got a little despondent yesterday evening though, and had a big confidence crisis about my writing ability. There was no reason for it; it was just pure feeling sorry for myself! I'm back on track now and ruddy well will send some short stories and poems off this week inspite of myself!

Take care. Julie X

womagwriter said...

Congratulations on the win!

As for your writing aims - one of my favourite quotes is: There's a word for a writer who never gives up - Published. Keep on trying and you will get there.

Julie P said...

Thanks Womagwriter. That quote is very true. If you give up at the first rejection then what are you left with?! It's a good job I'm made of stronger stuff. You have to be robust in this business don't you? Take the knock backs and keep on writing!