Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 7 February 2009

The anxieties of sending work out

I posted four short stories off to two women's magazines today. I'd been working on them and fiddling with them for months and decided that enough was enough and they had to go!
I marched valiantly up to the post office counter and placed my babies (sorry, the envelopes containing my manuscripts) on to the weighing scales and handed the money over. I then moved across to a spare table and carefully put the stamps on the SAEs before sealing the envelopes and posting them. There. I'd done it. I should have been elated, yes? No.
So why wasn't I? All those months of hard work had finally culminated in me actually finishing the stories and editing, then editing again, and again, and again, and again and then some more, and they'd gone! But why did I have this niggling sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach? Could it be that the fact that the many short stories I'd sent out previously to competitions didn't get anywhere, and a story I sent to a mag was rejected, that was worrying me. Probably.

It got me thinking that I should post the thoughts that ran through my head as the envelopes plopped into the post box:

1. Oh Lordy what have I done?
2. Would the post office lady open the box for me to retrieve them?
3. Did I miss any spelling/grammar/glaringly obvious plot errors?
4.Did I attach the front sheet and if I did, were all my details correct?
5. Did I write my address on the SAE?
6.Was I sure that the word count was accurate?
7. Did I present the short stories as stipulated in the magazine's guidelines?
8. Were the stories good enough?
9. How long would it be until I recieved the rejection letters?
10. What would I do if the editors said never send any more of my work in ever again?

But, after a nice cup of coffee, and some of my niece's birthday cake, I calmed down and realised that I have to send out my work if I want to get published (stating the obvious I know!) I'll keep you posted of any developments. We're into Feb and I've already had some successes in my writing Quest with letters, a poem and an article published, so it's time to get serious with the short stories and try and get one published.

Good look to all the other writers out there, whatever your writing goals are.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your stories.
Good luck.
:-)

Julie P said...

Thanks. I've got everything crossed!

Simon Whaley said...

Well done for putting them in the post, Julie. As I said at last year's workshop, so what if you get rejected. Only writers get rejected, daydreamers don't. But the upside is that writers can also be accepted. However, daydreamers can't be. I know which I am.

Onwards and upwards. And now you've posted that lot off, get your arse back on that seat and your fingers bashing away on the next batch. It's the only way to do it, and that's what you're doing. That day of getting a short story published just rolls ever closer.

Jaye said...

Good luck for those Julie and well done for the bits you've had published already! And that list - I share those thoughts too, every time!

Julie P said...

Thanks Simon, you are, as always, absolutely right! My bum is firmly planted on my seat and as soon as I've written this I'll be editing a couple of more short stories so I can send them out the end of the week as well. I view a rejection as progress, and as you say daydreamers don't get published.

Thanks Jaye. It's nice to hear that other writers feel the same way. As Simon says, onwards and upwards!

Fee said...

Nothing ventured nothing gained. No matter what happens you will learn from the experience. Constructive criticism is what I would call a rejection.

Best wishes and good luck.

Feex

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Well done in getting your recent letters, poem and article published. I wish you a positive outcome with your latest publishing endeavours.
Thank you very much for commenting on my latest blog. I write as a therapeutic outlet and consider it a most positive resource.
All the best to you, Julie.
Positive wishes, klahanie aka Gary.

Julie P said...

Thanks Fee! I sent another short story yesterday to a competition, and a poem to a magazine as well, so I'm well into sending my work out now. Backe to the pen and paper though now to start writing new stuff!

Julie P said...

Thanks Gary. I always find your posts to be positive and really motivating. Take care. Julie