Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Near - normal transmission has resumed

My cold symptoms have all but gone and I'm back on track with my writing. I managed to walk up and down to my daughters school today without feeling the need to pass out! The dizziness is still there but has lost it's potency.

We went to an indoor play area for kids with my daughter and her three yr old cousin this afternoon. It's their favourite place in the whole world at the moment. Thankfully, for the sake of my head, it was fairly quiet in there. There's this big blue wavy slide in there that I - sorry - my daughter loves going down. I got roped in to going down it too. I climbed up to the top feeling like the pied piper being followed by a gaggle of under five's. I sat down to slide and somehow ended up with someone else's little girl on my lap?! How did that happen? I have no idea. After a lot of nervously looking round to gain the consent of the little girl's parent to take her down the slide with me, I couldn't see a likely candidate. I was faced with a dilemma; did I remove the child from my lap who was looking up at me with big brown eyes and a big grin on her face and possibly make her cry? Or did I just push off and slide?! I chose the latter. But it made me feel a tad uncomfortable - what would the parent think at the sight of her little girl flying down the slide with a complete stranger? I had my daughter and neice behind me, but I do worry what others think and wouldn't want to worry the parents.

Then I had to go up and down again!! And the little girl was keen to ride down with me again. This time I saw the mother and just commented that I'd taken her down before and I didn't mind if she didn't mind. She was cool about it. But you never know. It's so difficult to know what to do for the best with other people's kids isn't it. A few years ago it wouldn't even have crossed my mind to worry, but these days you can't be too careful. You could end up being accused of all sorts. I think it's a worse dilemma for men.

The lovely spring weather has done me the world of good and the promise of the clocks going forward next week bringing longer, lighter, and hopefully warmer days has certainly put a spring in my step and a smile on my face. I'm hoping it will inspire me to write more too. I never have writer's block and I'm never wanting for an idea - I don't know why! My mind just buzzes with enthusiasm and ideas for writing, much to the dispair of my family and myself sometimes. I often find myself scribbling ideas down just before I go to sleep and I wake up in the middle of the night to write them down too; the power and inspiration of dreams eh?!

Writing successes this week - I've had two letters published in the local newspaper - and no, they weren't both me having a moan (for a change!) One was actually praising someone! So there you go. I don't whinge all the time!

Happy writing - no matter what troubles and pains get in your way. Julie xx

1 comment:

Fee said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I had a lot of information through about being alone with a child for Cancer Research UK Relay for Life and it says never get yourself in a position of being one to one with a child. Difficult isn't it. So it just shows how times have changed over the years.

Best wishes

Fee