Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 23 May 2009

Come On Fellow Poets!

I was leafing through my local paper this evening (I have another letter published 'incognito' in there) and I saw a call for poems. It's a national competition and the winning entries will be published in an anthology called The National Poetry Anthology. If chosen, your poem will be in the book and you'll receive a copy of it, and if your poem wins overall, you'll get £1000! All together now Ooooooooh!

Poems can be up to 20 lines (160 words) . You can send up to three poems, and it's free to enter. What have you got to lose? Come on all you Wrekin Writers and those Poetry Street poets - lets get as many entries from Shropshire in there as we can!

Send poems to:

United Press Ltd,
Admail 3757,
London,
EC1B 1JB

Further details at www.unitedpress.co.uk

Happy poetry writing!

3 comments:

Pinkerbell said...

Ooo. This looks like a good option. Worth a shot anyway, although have you put into a competition like this before? I fear I'd be down wondering what they really thought of my poem...

Pinkerbell said...

Hello, by the way, I've come visiting from Fee's blog...

Julie P said...

Hi, Pinkerbell! And welcome! No, I haven't put a poem into a comp like this before - I saw it in our local newspaper and just thought it looked interesting. I don't know if they do what it says on the tin, but I know Fee has sent one in, so I think it's a case of sending stuff in and waiting and seeing.

However, more recently, I have to say someone has had a word in my ear and told me that some competititions like this have been a bit tricky claiming it to be free entry with prizes and then asking 'winners' to pay for the resulting anthology! Tut Tut! I can't comment on this particular competition as I've never entered it before. But as in all comps my advice would be to proceed with caution! But have fun -

Julie xx