Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 2 May 2009

It lives!

The printer has had a change of heart and with a bit of prodding and poking and gentle persuasion the printer is working - just. I don't know what was wrong with it or what hubby did to it to get it working (neither does he!) So at least I can print out now. It's certainly made me realise how wasteful I was being by printing most of my work out to edit it, and I am now being more choosy over what I print out - saving myself money and helping the environment.

I had two letters published in the Shropshire Star on two evenings running - that's good going for me, making a total of three in there in April. I also recieved a cheque from an editor who is starting up a new shropshire website for three articles I sent him and I have another two to send over the next few days. I've also had a couple of articles accepted by The Link magazine. I'm still riding on the wave of euphoria from my first ever short story sale and working towards sending a few more out this month.

I think I finally understand what other short story writers were on about when they said there's this sudden 'lightbulb' moment when the switch is just flicked and you just get it. I used to get very frustrated when ever I heard that said and I drove myself crazy wondering what on earth they meant. Whatever it was, I didn't have it!! And I wanted it! I still have a long way to go on my writing journey but I've enjoyed it so far. All the encouragement and support that I have had, and continue to have is just wonderful. I hope everyone finds my blog helpful and I hope to be able to offer some advice, what limited knowledge I have, to help other writers on their way.

I'm going to put together a post on my top tips for writing short stories soon. I know I've only had one published, but I hope to have more published soon. And if I can help a fellow writer with the advice that helped me, then I'll be happy!

Tomorrow is the Secondhand Book Fair at Attingham park, Shrewsbury. The wrekin Writers are going to be there tomorrow and Monday selling their books and running the Chairman's Challenge competition. I shall be there tomorrow morning and I am so looking forward to it. I might even post some photos tomorrow if I remember to take my camera!

Have fun over the bank holiday, no matter what you're doing. Don't forget your note book and pens, and happy writing!

Julie xx

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Your blogs are always terrifically helpful - and very positive. Congratulations on such a successful April - well deserved.

:-)

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I mean ma'am!

Fee said...

Hi Julie

Congratulations on getting the printer working and on your writing being accepted and published.

I am plodding along slowly but hope to see you tomorrow. Steve will be there too.

Best wishes

Fee