Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 5 May 2009

This Weeks Blog


If anyone should come across this weeks copy of Woman's Own, take a look at their This Weeks Blog section on pg 61! There may be someone you recognise in there - but it's okay, you don't have to own up to the fact that you know me!


I have progressed from having a rant in the local press, to having a rant in a national woman's mag! I really hope that non of the parents at the nursery read it!! I'm already ostracized for being an 'older mother' as it is!! In fact - if anyone does ask you if you have seen me recently, please say no!!! I have to say though, that since the headmistress became involved and sent a letter out to the parents asking (telling!) them to mind their language, it has been a lot better up there. Just goes to show that you have to stand up for what you believe in.


There are some lovely parents whose children attend the nursery and it's a shame if the minority of parents who do use foul language are allowed to get away with it. They seem to have no idea that they are swearing, or if they do, they just don't care. A sign of our times maybe? I don't now. It always seems to be a delicate balance, you don't want to say anything to them because you fear they might abuse you, and you don't want to be labelled a snitch either. (I think it's too late for me!) Must be a couple of short stories in there somewhere though.

You see! I'm always on the look out for possible characters and story lines. Once a writer, always a writer!
Julie xx

6 comments:

Nicola said...

Julie,

Your next step is to write a book entitled "How to win friends and influence people!" (Oh, just realised it's already been done!)

Seriously, well done for having the guts to say (well, write) what others are probably thinking. I am horrified by the foul language I often hear as I walk round town (not to mention the corridors at school...).

Maybe the people concerned will get the message once they read your article. A few years ago, I had to point out to a group of foul-mouthed lads on a train that there was a two year-old (my niece) sitting behind them. They were very apologetic and went out of their way to help with the pushchair etc. when we came to get off.

By the way, I had a chuckle at the fact you claim to have been ostracized for being an 'older mother'. Says it all really, doesn't it...?!!

Nicola xx

Churchmouse said...

Couldn't agree more, 'stand up for what you believe in' !!

Hugs, Carole. x

Suzanne said...

Congratulations Julie - and good for you for standing up for common decency.

:-)

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Well done for getting your blog published in 'Woman's Own' magazine. I totally agree with what you have stated in your article.
I applaud your moral standards.
Kind wishes, Gary.

Simon Whaley said...

Who says morailty doesn't pay? Well done!

Julie P said...

Thanks, everyone! I have survived taking my daughter to nursery and haven't got lynched ....yet! It's been fairly quiet up there though recently. I don't think they're the type to be into reading Woman's own! Alas I don't think you get any payment for This Weeks Blog, and I think I might have frightened its readers with my mug shot!! Must find a new magazine to target now!