Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 18 June 2009

The Experiment Ends

Well, officially it doesn't end until 9pm tonight, but it's been such a success I wanted to tell you about it. My writing output just seems to have gone through the roof! I know I have a pretty good output anyway but I've written many stories this week and those stories have spawned many other ideas for more short stories. It's like someone's flipped a switch in the creativity part of my brain and it's gone into overdrive. I don't know if it's the result of the experiment, the better weather, lighter evenings, or the pills I'm on - but what ever it is I'm grateful.

I still watch the TV but not half as much as I used to and I've discovered what fun you can have with the TV turned off. I seem to notice more of what's going on around me - unfortunate for the men fighting in a car outside my house earlier on this week - and what's happening outside my window. It's amazing how quickly something like watching TV can become a habit and how easy it can be to break that habit and rediscover your life!

I had a letter published in the local Journal today. It's a new section in the paper which is delivered to our homes for free. Luckily it wasn't one of my rants as they printed my full address underneath for some reason - house number and everything! I don't know why. I'm just waiting for the rude letters to come through my letter box now - or worse!

I sent a short story to a woman's mag in Australia last night via email and I'm on course to send two out to a couple of women's mags over here at the weekend. I've yet to break in to the British market of women's mags and so that is my goal at the moment. When I first started this blog, and my quest, I never thought I would get as far as I have done. I have recently gone back through eveything I''ve achieved since January this year and it's certainly boosted my confidence again.

I think half the battle is believing in yourself that you can do it; If you don't believe that you can do it then which editor is? It's not just about having the skill or talent, although that obviously does help. I think it's rather like an iceberg where the talent and craft of writing is floating on the surface of the water with the writer's self believe and hard work going on underneath the surface. How are you going to convince an editor that you can write the piece he wants, in the way he wants, to a standard he expects, if you can't convince yourself that you can? Even if you have niggling doubts or your inner critic is screaming down a megaphone at you that you can't do it, ignore them and give it a go; you won't know until you try.

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Such an upbeat blog, thanks Julie, hugs..xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole! Hope your editing and sorting out is going well. Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Great to hear how well you've been doing, Julie - you deserve to be very pleased with yourself. It's often harder than people realise to 'keep at it' and keep on plugging away and sending stories etc out. That's a bit naughty of the local mag, putting your full name & address in! Hope it didn't spoil your pleasure at seeing your piece in print. x

Simon Whaley said...

Julie, you are so right! Once you believe in yourself, that's half the battle won! Reviewing what you've achieved so far really does help to put everything into perspective. We tend to focus on the negative, but reviewing everything throws up the positive too!

Breaking into the British market is only a matter of time.

Here's to the next six months then!

Simon

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia! I'm not bothered about the paper printing my address. It was obviously a mistake and I doubt anything will come of it as the papers will be in everyone's recycling bins by now! Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Simon! It really is so hard trying to keep going with the submissions sometimes as you never know whether they're going to be accepted or not. I have to admit that I tend to stay on the side of caution and take the view point that they aren't going to be accepted on the premise that if they do get published it's a bonus!! I also try to forget about them once they've been posted out and start on something new - but it's hard!

Yes, heres to the next glorious six months and plenty of publications going on!

Juie xx