Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Going. Going. Gone

I'm still hanging on in there with my experiment and I only have until 9pm tomorrow night to go! But, do you know what, I really think I'm going to carry on with it. Although I've been very tired this week, I have found this experiment to be beneficial and has definately had a positive impact on increasing my creativity, motivation and my writing has improved too.

I haven't had any news of any of my work already out there but, as I said in an earlier post, I haven't got a great deal out there at the moment. But that's about to change as I am currently editing and polishing up five short stories I have written over the past couple of weeks. I'm going to send a couple out tomorrow and the rest will go either the weekend or early next week.

I still have a wobble just before I send my work out and I tend to worry a bit over it while I'm waiting for a verdic. But I know the only way forward is to keep writing and sending stuff out - there is no way round it if I want to be a published writer. I don't just write for that reason alone, though; I write because I have to. It's almost like a compulsion (see slightly scary post by Samantha Tonge over on Strictly Writing about compulsions!) I write loads of stuff that I know is never going to see the light of day; it's private to me and will stay that way. But most of my stuff is aimed at a market. It doesn't always make it but some of it does and that's good enough for me!

I had a phone call from the organisers of the Writers' Bash in Herefordshire on July 4th. Some of us from my writers' group are going and I'm helping to organise our end of it. We're going to be reading some of our work out on stage along with some other writing groups from the area. I'm looking forward to it but I don't want to go on stage!

Saturday is our monthly Wrekin Writers meeting and this month we have a motivational speaker - could be interesting. But all I seem to want to do at the moment is sleep! It will look well if, half way through his spiel, the sound of snoring from me in the corner stops him in his tracks! Well he may motivate me to sleep if nothing else. I'm highly suspicious of motivational speakers. I have visions of a lycra clad Mr Motivator screaming at us down his mic headset and getting us to play all these weired but not wonderful embarrassing 'games'!

I shall keep you posted on what happens! Mind you, he might motivate me that much you won't see me for months on Blogspot because I'm too busy writing! That will be the day. But I must get on with editing now so I can send some stuff out. I'm struggling with wanting to send stuff out and being reluctant to at the moment, but I think the sending stuff out side is winning by a nose. Got to be in it to win, as they say.

PS Admitted to my GP yesterday that I was now a writer - well he did ask! I felt really dippy about it and embarrassed. Not sure what he made of it either. I came away with three prescriptions anyway! So I should be firing on all cylinders again soon.

Happy writing

Julie xx

7 comments:

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Oh Julie you do make me laugh. The image of your doctor giving you a pill because you're a writer, well if they work let us know and we'll all go and get some.

Well done though with sticking with your experiment and hope you perk up soon and there is no way you'll fall asleep on Saturday, I'll bring a big stick with me.

Love
Sue xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Julie, they, whoever they are, say that it is necessary to write a million words before one becomes publishable...you must have reached the target by now...hugs...xx

Julie P said...

It would be interesting to know what the GP wrote about me in my notes, Sue! I have to say that I am feeling a little perkier today and am looking forward to Saturday - you might need the big stick to gain some sort or control and order over us lot. You know what we're like when we get over excited!! Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole. Yes I've done a fair bit of writing over the past month, and my list of sent outs and successes for Di on Saturday is longer than ever. Even I'm surprised by how much I've actually done this time. All I can say to Di is that I apologise in advance for my list!!

I'm glad your editing is going well even though it's driving you crazy!!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

Oh gosh, I can just picture the scene:

Julie: Hello.

Doctor: Hello. What seems to be the problem?

Julie: Well, my name is Julie and I'm a writer.

Doctor: Take these twice a day and come back in a month if you haven't been cured.

Actually, it's important that you tell your doctor. It allows them to give the excuse that "you're cocooned in your own home and not mixing in an office environment and building up your immune system" every time you go in winging about having a virus.

It makes them feel better, even if you don't!

Olivia Ryan said...

Well done with the experiment - and super well done with the five stories! I laughed about you telling the doctor, too. Mine already knows I'm a writer so he's probably given up on me! Mind you, when I used to work at the hospital he used to ask me questions about what was going on there, and admitted that he used me as a spy! (!) - so I think I prefer him just treating me as a nutty writer!

Julie P said...

I think I fit the nutty writer profile to a tee, Olivia! I don't think the fact that I'd given up my nursing career to be a writer and care for my daughter went down too well. I'm sure he thought I'd gone mad - he's probably right!

I know Simon - from the look my GP gave me I was sure he was going to say "You don't know Simon Whaley by any chance do you?!"

I don't think there's a pill on the planet that could 'cure' me of my writing addiction. I keep expecting to see a big white van screech to a halt outside of my door. The van's doors fly open and my GP runs out with two men in white coats and they bustle me into the back of the van. My GP would be shouting "To the hospital quick - she thinks she's a writer! We must quaranteen her before it spreads! We'll give her lots of pretty coloured pills and she'll be right in no time. Repeat after me Julie - I am a nurse. I am a nurse. I am a nurse."

Seriously, though, in case me GP reads my blog, I am grateful for the help he's given me. (Lordy, if my GP reads my blog I definately will be carted off to hospital!

Julie xx