Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 30 July 2009

Dreaming Of A Plot Line

I was feeling very restless last night and I just could not settle to do anything. This very often happens when I'm the cusp of a bout of creativity;it's as though by brain's gearing up for the writing of the next short story, poem or article and I'm like a body of nervous energy fizzing and popping ready to go bang and release whatever has been bubbling up.

Then one of the other judges of the short story competition we are judging at the moment came over and we swapped piles - my spewing forth of creative juices would have to wait! I am a curious (okay nosy) person by nature and there was no way I was going to be able to sit there staring at the entries all night and so I decided to read them. I like to get them all read and judged in one sitting (yes I am quite mad and should know better). So the marathon commenced. There were 54 of them so it was no mean feat. I really shouldn't do that again so late at night. Plus I had a walk around the block a quarter of the way through - believe me I needed it.

I had some really strange dreams last night. I dreamt of people I haven't seen for years. A receptionist/clerk at the Day Hospital I haven't worked in for nine years. A friend from when we attended baby club at a local health centre. I haven't seen her for ages and, for some reason in my dream, she was really cheesed off with me and I couldn't work out why! In fact I woke up wondering what on earth I'd done to upset her - it's still bugging me now. They weren't even complete dreams, just snapshots really - but that's how my brain works when I'm a wake, like a butterfly flitting here and there so it stands to reason it would do the same when I'm asleep!

It made me question whether anyone has ever dreamt the plot to a novel or short story, or the theme of a poem. I find dreams intriguing and I wonder if we are more creative overnight than we are in the day sometimes. If only we could remember our dreams in more detail; it's so frustrating when you know you've had a really good, vivid dream but you can't remember it! I have a note book and pen by my bed and very often, when I'm falling asleep or in the middle of the night, I'll wake up with an idea and start scribbling it down. It drives both me and my husband mad but I know if I don't write it down I'll have forgotten it by the morning. But I've never dreamt an idea or plot line. But wouldn't it be great if a brilliant idea or three did come to you in a dream?

Mind you, with the kind of wayout, obscure, whacky dreams I have I'd be too afraid to write them down in case the Men In White Coats came to take me away, Ha Ha. Believe me the inner workings of my brain are best left deep down in the dungeons! It's safer that way.

Sweet dreams

Julie xx

8 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

I often write up my dreams as short stories - but as you say, some of them are best not written down!

Your eyes must have been crossed after reading all those stories!!!

Julie P said...

They were, Teresa, and I have two more piles to go through yet!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Julie, My psychiatrist friend and counsellor says all the female characters are ourselves, reflecting our attitude to our own life situations....wrapped up in other 'forms' so the message is conveyed in a subtle way that we are able to accept in our sleeping state...food for thought. Hugs..Carole.

Olivia Ryan said...

I have used dreams as ideas for stories sometimes. I once had a very bizarre dream about someone wearing a brown cardigan to their wedding - no idea why I was dreaming about weddings at that time as (unlike now!)there were no weddings going on in the family or amongst my friends! But I used that as the theme for a story that did get published in one of the women's mags. Dreams are very odd, aren't they? Has your dream about the friend who was miffed with you, made you feel inclined to contact her? Or maybe better not to!

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole. I often thought that when writing female characters it's me trying on a different pair of shoes, living someone else's life for 1000 but with me and my values at the core. So Maybe your psychiatrist friend is right.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Olivia - yup, dreams are strange and so intriguing! Maybe I should write some of the less obscure ones of mine down. Some people think that dreams mean something, like a message, but I have no idea what some of my dreams are trying to tell me!

I think I'll give contacting the friend I dreamt about a miss ..... just in case!

Julie xx

Fee said...

Hi Julie

I know what you mean about ideas coming to you during the night. It infuriates my husband too but like you if I don't type it up or write it down it gets lost by morning.

Best wishes and happy writing.

Fee

Julie P said...

I always kick myself in the morning if I haven't written a good idea down I had overnight, Fee! Which reminds me I've had an idea floating around my head for two ays that I really must note down before I forget it.

Julie