Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 11 July 2009

Pushing The Boat Out

I have been thinking about going to the Wenlock Olympians for a while now. I used to go as a child but have not been for some years, so this year I decided to go and try and get a couple of articles out of it - nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. I obtained some info off the internet (thank grapes for the internet) and decided to phone the first person on the list of organisers for this years games. He was out so I left a message on his answerphone, and I tried the second person - she was in and was very kind and put me on to the Olympian Society's PR lady.

I explained to her who I was and what I wanted to do and she was very gracious and said I should report to the announcer's tent and she'd fix me up with a Press ID badge and give me a media pack. Crikey! I thought - it's all a bit serious for a nervous beginner who has never been to an event like this in a professional capacity before! So we had a long chat and that was that. I was in!

Then I panicked.Oh my life what am I going to do now?! So I did what any self respecting panicking writer would do and I emailed Simon Whaley! What would we do with out him! He too was very gracious and gave me some top tips on what to do and what not to do - namely panic!

Last night I was preparing myself when the phone rang and it was the chap I had contacted earlier about the archery and he was very nice and gave me lots of info so I'm going to watch a bit of archery tomorrow too.

This morning I duly set off with husband and daughter in tow and contacted the PR lady, as she had instructed, on her mobile when I got to the school. (I did this after persuading three youths that it really wasn't a good idea to try and light fires near the children's play area - that's another story!) When I got hold of the PR lady she was running late and so we agreed to meet at The Raven Hotel in Muchwenlock town centre. I lived in Muchwenlock for eighteen years but have never been in there. I grew up on a council estate and people like me just didn't go in places like that unless we worked in them! So I felt quite uncomfortable sitting in the lounge area waiting, but once the PR lady arrived I felt better but she got me mixed up with another writer! Once that was cleared up I discovered that there wasn't much going on today but I will be going back tomorrow.

Now I have my press pass (A press pass that says Julie Phillips - Journalist on it!!) It makes it easier for me tomorrow and tonight I will be studying the media pack I was given. So I spent the rest of the day walking around the town, visiting my dad, and having a nice lunch in a cafe - I also managed a quick visit to Wenlock books! My favourite bookshop. I didn't give in temptation and buy a moleskine notebook but I did have a quick sniff on the way past!

I'm looking forward to going tomorrow. I'm still a little nervous but now I have a better idea of what's going on I'm sure it will be fine. I'll keep you posted! Oh yes, and I have a new toy - a digital dictaphone!

Julie xx

3 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

A digital dictaphone? Sounds like someone's been shopping in Staples again! Have fun tomorrow. You'll be fine!!

Fee said...

Wow what wonderful news. I know what you mean about sniffing moleskins.

You are so right what would we do without our beloved Simon Whaley. He is such great support when you really need it.

Best wishes

Fee

Julie P said...

Thank you, Simon! I'm loking forward to tomorrow now and know I can pull it off.

I can't help my obsession with Moleskine notebooks they just smell so good! Fee

Julie xx