Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 4 July 2009

Writers' Bash a success






















Today was the day of the Writers' Bash at Docklow, near Leominster. The Writers' Bash has been running annually for around seven years, but this was the Wrekin Writers' first attendance and we enjoyed every minute of it.

There were about eight different writers' groups there who all read out peices of their own work ranging from poems, short stories, excerpts from books, short plays, and autobiographies. The standard of the writing was frighteningly good and fun to listen to. It was interesting for us to meet, and listen to other groups and I had no idea there were so many different and talented writers' groups in Shropshire and Herefordshire. I think I'm going to have to work a little harder in preparation for next year and up the ante a bit!

The farm house and grounds where the Bash was held were beautiful but the track to get to it was lethal! It was very bumpy and full of pot holes so we were a bit shaken but not stirred when we arrived. Each group took it in turns to read out their bits and we had two refreshments breaks. It ran from 2pm - 6.30pm and we were the last but one group to go on stage, so we were a bit tired by then - well I was. I hate reading stuff out in public but I did it anyway. They were such a supportive and appreciate audience but I still felt my own work fell short of a lot of the excellent stuff that was read out. These events are quite an eye opener as to the amount of local writing talent there is out there.

We had a talk and reading by Jeff Phelps, whose new book Box Of Tricks is out on 9th July - so we were the first audience to hear excerpts from it. Jeff was telling us about how his publisher, Tindall Press, is based in Birmingham as they wanted to bring good publishing out of London - an excellent idea. It just goes to show that you shouldn't overlook the small, local publishers when looking to get your book on the shelves.

We also had a mini writing competition on the subject of independence (July 4th American Independence Day) where we had to write on one side of a post card. The winner got £20, but none of us won it. But look out next year!!

So all in all it was a lovely afternoon and I think we should attend more of these events - maybe run our own, Chairman Sue?!
I'd like to say thank you to Mark and Trisha for inviting us, and also a particular big thanks to Nicola Vincent, fellow Wrekin Writer who stepped up and gave me, Chris and Angeline a lift when I had car troubles.
Happy writing!
Julie. xx

2 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

It sounded wonderful! Hugs...

Julie P said...

It certainly was, Carole and I hope we'll be able to go again next year. Julie xx