Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 3 August 2009

Can't sleep

It's 12:32 in the morning and for some reason I can't sleep! I hate it when this happens. I have so much stuff whizzing around my brain that I can't wind down. Some of it's writing stuff but most of it seems to be due to the fact that the council won't be making changes to the roads outside my daughter's school in time for the new school year in September as they had promised. Now some of you may be thinking that this is nothing to lose sleep over but when you've worked so hard for something and just receive a standard, impersonal letter saying that the council aren't going to change a dangerous road system after all, it makes me very angry and let down.

So much so that I've just rattled off three emails to the councillors and police officer who was campaigning for these road changes and I do feel better for doing that. I got this letter a week ago and I just calmly put it aside and didn't think much of it. But now I've had time to think about it I am angry and want to know where we go from here. I can't stand another year of running the gauntlet up that road, where mindless drivers think nothing of driving and parking on the pavements and forcing us pedestrians to stop and get out of their way. Why do they do that?! I'm hoping the councillors can help me. I can feel another letter coming on to the Shropshire Star!! Oh yes, that's right, I'm not writing letters to the paper anymore am I! I'm sitting on my hands!

If only there was some way I could harness this energy into writing stories and articles! I'm sure I'd be getting published all the time then! That's the other thing that's been niggling at the back of my mind all evening - whether I actually have what it takes to be a published writer. Do I even know what you need to be one? I mean there are thousands of writers out there who do what I'm trying to do and many of them are struggling and have either failed or just given up. What do I need to do or have that will make me successful and stand out from the rest? Determination, skill, open eyes, a willingness to try new things, tenacity? What it is?

I had a really good time today with the archers (not the cast from the famous radio show but real archers with real bows and arrows!) and have been feeling really positive recently about my writing but for some reason tonight it's bothering me. Anyway, I have now bored myself sleepy from my ramblings and so I'm going to try and get some sleep. And I hope I can shake these doubts and annoyances/frustrations from my brain! I appologise if I have bored you too!

Sweet dreams (and don't forget to write your dreams down - might be a short story, novel or poem in there!)

Julie xx

4 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Determination, Julie!
Find a way - in fiction - to solve the road problem! Create a person who is responsible for not doing anything about it (maybe they want the road budget money spent on doing up the road near their home) - have them knocked down by one of the careless drivers - then of course they throw their weight behind making the changes needed!
Use that anger!

Julie P said...

Hi, Teresa, I really should write about it shouldn't I?! It's just really annoying me at the moment as I know it's the school hols and the councillors aren't around and everyone seems to be going away or been away on their Summer hols except me!! And I know the problem is going to be there when I walk up that road first thing Monday 7th Sept!! It's crazy. I suspect they're waiting for a child to get hurt before they do anything and that is so wrong.

Still I've given the councillors something to think about when they return from their hols and will not take "no" or "can't do" for an answer!! I would love to see their faces when my email pings in their inbox! "Oh God, it's that woman again!" I deliberately left it a couple of weeks after grtting the letter to lull them into a false sense of security! It's all about tactics and the element of surprise!

Feeling a little more up beat about that and the writing this morning, Isn't it funny how everything seems so much worse at night?!

Julie xx

Teresa Ashby said...

Good for you, Julie - keep fighting!

Nights can be horrible - the negative feelings really like to attack then don't they?

Julie P said...

They do, Teresa! But it totally threw me as I'd had such a good time with the archers that afternoon - I think I got over tired and had so many writing ideas in my head I couldn't settle!

Thanks for your invaluable advice too it is so much appreciated.

Onwards and upwards!

Julie xx