Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 7 August 2009

Confession time

My name is Julie and I have a confession to make. I am a writer who is trying to break into the British women's magazine short story market but I haven't written or sent a short story out for many weeks. Oh the shame! I can hear you all shouting "if you don't write them and send them out you're not going to get published!" I know, I know, but I've been busy with my articles and I fear if I don't jump ship now and get my bottom on the seat and jolly well start writing some short stories I may never write one again.

I have jotted down some ideas for short stories during this hiatus but I have the urge to write some proper short stories that I can get my teeth into and satisfy the fiction side of my creativity. So it's eyes down, computer on - brace yourselves Take A Break, People's Friend, My Weekly, Weekly News and Fiction Feast, I'm on my way!!

Julie xx

8 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

You'll make it! Hugs...xx

Julie P said...

I wish I had as much 'oooomph' as you do, though, Carole!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Good for you, Julie - get going while the creative urge is there! But don't give yourself a hard time - we all need to take a break sometimes from our usual writing, to do something different. It could make you a more 'rounded' writer - great to be writing articles as well as stories. Well done!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia, I actually took my own advice last night and shut myself in the kitchen with my laptop on the table and did a first draft of an article! So I can do it if you set your mind to it.

I know I was supposed to be writing short stories but I just had to get this article out of my system! I know you know what I mean. I can't do any writing until this evening and so I'll do the same thing and lock myself in the kitchen and do a short story!

Have you noticed how incredibly difficult it is to switch off from your writing? I find I'm so frustrated if I have ideas whizzing round my head and I can't get them down on paper! You're right, though, we do need to take a break every now and then, whether we want to or not,it's good for the health and creativity.

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I know that with a positive focus; There is a very good chance that you can accomplish your goal of having your short stories published in the British women's magazines short story market. Like you mention, one can achieve much if we set our mind to it.
I wish you much success, Julie. A big thank you for commenting on my latest blog. The garden gnomes and the beautiful fairy princess pass on good wishes to you:-)
Kind regards, Gary.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary. It's all about mind over matter isn't it.I do it therefore I can! Or something like that! I'm looking forward to a visit from the gnomes and fairy princess. Tell them I've put the kettle on.

Anyone reading this is probably thinking that we are away with the fairies, Gary! They'll have to read your blog to find out if we've really lost our marbles or not, won't they!

Thanks for your encouragement too.

Julie xx

Quillers said...

Good luck with getting those stories written and subbed, Julie. And if you ever crack PF and WW do let me know how. So far their doors are closed to me.

Julie P said...

Hi, Quillers, thanks for the encouragement. I certainly need it at the moment! You know how it goes.

It's so frustrating when you get rejection after rejection and I have no idea how I'm going to crack any UK magazine! But I have proved to myself that I can do it by getting that story into That's Life in Australia. But I have not had any success with my short stories since.

I'm just about to polish up some short stories I wrote a year ago ready to send off for the Xmas market and I have a couple of Halloween based stories - I might be too late for this year on those, though.

At the moment I'm going to stick with sending stories out to TAB, TAB FF, That's Life (Australia) and The Weekly News. I'll try the other mags with the next batch then. It's really difficult to get in, though, and I find it frustrating when it takes sooooo long to hear back, or you hear nothing at all!

Julie xx