Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Funny you should mention that

I have some funny conversations with my family. This morning's round of text messages was no exception.

My sister: "Phil (her husband) asked me today if I thought he should have a hysterectomy."

Me: "Tell him he ought to get the wheels on his menstrual cycle sorted out at the same time."

My sister: "Yes, before he goes through the menopause."

And that, my friends, is why I am like I am. It's not me, it's my family. My comment about the menstrual cycle is a family joke. A few years ago my sister, feeling particularly devilish, asked poor Phil how many wheels there were on a menstrual cycle, to which he replied "2"! Enough said there, I think.

I've had some lovely surprises over the past two days. I got two comments into Prima Magazine's September issue and this afternoon my daughter and I walked up to the local shop and I was perusing Woman's Weekly magazine and saw that a letter I'd sent in about a feature they'd done on Dawn French had got letter of the week! So my name has appeared in Woman's Weekly, but, sadly, not attached to a short story publication. I'm taking the scenic route via the back door! This week - letter of the week, next 5,000 weeks a short story in there! Stranger things have happened. As my family can attest.

It's been a good writing week for me so far. I, at last, managed to post off a short story to Take A Break, and emailed an article to The Link (NAWG) magazine. For the rest of the week I'm aiming to send off two more short stories to different magazines and another article. I'm feeling incredibly motivated at the moment and my hard work is paying off. I'm more determined than ever to crack another magazine with my short stories and articles. It's hard work, but work that I enjoy.

Congratulations to Sally and Womag Writer for making the top blogs list - they both have excellent blogs that have certainly been one of the influences in my writing progress. Long may they continue.

Julie xx

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie
Congratulations - you made it to a big one, you are so good with the letters, I would love to see it.
Good luck with your stories too, I think you will crack it one of these days soon!

Love Di
x

Julie P said...

Hi, Di! I think it's Di-with-the- chickens but you've come up as 'Anonymous says!' You've done rather well in a certain comp though haven't you!! We shall be queens of the magazines soon!

Hah! "Crack it!" chicken-egg-crack egg- crack it!

If it's not Di-with-the-chickens my apologies! But you can still be queen of the magazines with us if you want to!

Julie xx (Or at least I think that's my name!)

Teresa Ashby said...

Great news, Julie!
And good luck with the stories - I bet it won't be long before you crack it! Especially if your stories are as entertaining as your blog!

Julie P said...

Thanks Teresa! I was just re-reading the stories in TAB FF this morning to gather some enthusiasm for the next batch of stories I intend to write. I try and fool my addled brain into thinking if they can do it so can I!!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

I've just read your comments in Prima, well done. And congratulations on your WW success, too.

You should send the hysterectomy story to that's life! Aren't Men Daft (details on their website http://www.thatslife.co.uk/is-your-man-daft).

X

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I might do that. I thought my one comment in Prima was very 'psychiatrist' like (Keeping young!) I couldn't believe I'd written something that sounded so 'sensible' quite unlike me!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I have emailed the hysterectomy story to That's Life magazine for their 'Aren't Men Daft' section, so we will see what happens, Suzanne!!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Great. Will keep my fingers crossed, Julie.

X

Julie P said...

Not sure how my Brother-in law will take it though, if it gets in!!!

Julie xx