Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 1 August 2009

They're Here!!!

The free tickets I applied for to attend an evening talk by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy at our local literary festival in October have come through the post! I'm really looking forward to it as are the other three (two members of Wrekin Writers and one of their mothers) who are also going. I missed her talk when she went to Much Wenlock earlier this year so I am thrilled that I've got a second chance to see her.

Although I do love poetry and have dabbled in writing poetry I'm no expert but I'm hoping by listening to her talk and by joining the Salopian Poetry Society that I will have a better idea about how poetry works and how to improve it. We did a section on poetry in the Open University Course A215 Creative Writing Course I did in 2007/08 but it's not until you start writing poetry that it clicks, I think.

I promised myself that I would attend more literary events from now on and this is an excellent start!

Have a good weekend

Julie xx

No comments: