Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 21 September 2009

Another, another publication!

My word - I've just got my breath back from the news that my poem is going to be published in First Edition magazine when an email from Writing magazine pings into my in-box. I'd sent a letter that I wanted passed on to Jane Wenham-Jones in response to her recent column 'Get Your Just Rewards.' I used the recent editor incident I had and said that I now agreed with Jane's views on the matter of writing for magazines and not getting paid. Writing magazine are going to print some of the letter (It was quite long) in the magazine as a lesson to other writers!!

I also sent a proposal to writing magazine which the editor mentioned in his email but said he would reply seperately to that when he had time - that will probably be a no then - so near and yet so far!!

Hey ho. But the letter and my poem being published has really lifted my mood and got the creative juices flowing again. The roller coaster ride of writing freelance eh?!!

Julie xx

20 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Yay well done, Julie!
Don't lose hope for the other one yet - if it was a no I'm sure he would have said so.
And things do come in threes don't they.

Diane Perry said...

Flipping Heck Julie!
I agree with Teresa - what is coming next?

Well done

Love Di
x

Julie P said...

That's what I'm hoping, Teresa - that there will be a third YAY! somewhere! Not that I'm being greedy at all!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Who knows, Di!! A feature in magazine I actually get paid for would be nice! I could do with a new pair of shoes!
Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Great! You'll get there and sooner than you think with your enthusiasm and ability! Hugs...xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I missed you at the meeting on Saturday. I certainly feel better about my writing than I did over the weekend. But it's absolutely true what they say - the best thing you can do after falling off a horse is to get back on it and start riding again - or is it falling off a bike?! I'm getting into this cliche thing aren't I!

Julie xx

Karen said...

Ooh I say, it's all looking good! Fingers crossed for the article :o)

Suzanne Jones said...

Whey hey - well done, you.

XX

Fran Hill said...

I agree with Teresa. Surely he would just have said 'but I'm not interested in the article' and saved himself the trouble of writing another letter. Good luck with all that. It's so exciting when people actually take your stuff, isn't it? It can perk up the dullest of days!

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Well done. Enjoy the roller coaster ride...weeee...:-)
Keep going and many congratulations.
Kind wishes, Gary x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Karen - but I have to say, my recent editor problems has still put me off submitting stuff a little - I'll get over it!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Ta, Suzanne - I hope you get great news about your book soon too.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fran. Editors are an enigma and a law unto themselves!! I shall never truly fathom them out.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary! I'm going on the Big Dipper soon!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Oooh!!! I'm catching up on the blogs and have only just read about the poem, and now it's this! I feel all shivery with excitement for you! You're definitely on a roll! xxx

Julie P said...

I hope so, Olivia. But I'll probably get my five stories from People's Friend back in the post, rejected, tomorrow to bring me back down to Earth with a bump from the clouds!!

How's our Noah?

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Ah, he's lovely, thank you Julie! Two weeks old already - where has that gone! xx

Fee said...

Hi Julie,

You know what they say, you get thrown from a horse you have to get back in the saddle again sometime. It is the same with writing. Enjoy the challenges, you knew this wasn't going to be easy.

Congratulations and good luck.

Feex

Julie P said...

Tow weeks already, Olivia?! That's gone fast - he'll be off to university before we know it - scary thought how fast time flies isn't.
Juliexx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fee! I must say. I'm getting a bot saddle sore though!

Jukie xx