Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 11 September 2009

Busy, busy, busy!

Is it just me or does everyone seem to be extremely busy at the moment? It's wonderful to hear about writers out there in blog land being so industrious and I'm sure all this hard work will bring great results in the months to come.

As we come into the Autumn season and move rapidly through to the cold, dark days of Winter and dare I say the C word - Christmas - it is tempting to start to wind down, after the frenetic activity of the Summer, and hibernate like a tortoise or a bear. I always find the fading light and the nights drawing in quite difficult to deal with. But one of the things that shines through the darkness for me is the promise of many a cosy night spent cocooned indoors with the curtains shut writing.

I love this time of year with all the greens, golds, browns and Russets of nature showing themselves off in all their glory - it sort of makes up for the shorter days and longer nights. My particular favourite colour of this season is the vibrant red of a type of ivy that turns from green to red at this time of year. Does anyone know what it's called? There's a big clump of it covering the top of a wall I walk past on the way to my daughter's school and it's absolutely beautiful, Very inspiring. I will try to get a photo of it to post on here.

I love the change over in seasons as, although I moan about the shorter days, I see so many pretty sights this time of year I can't help but smile and be uplifted by it all. I like to take lots of photos and I find them useful to take a look at for inspiration for my writing.

This week has flown by and my daughter has enjoyed her first week at school. She's been very tired but loves wearing her uniform and walking to school. The week went by without too many problems - apart from day two when we were late getting her to school and had to sign the late (naughty) book!! I didn't know I could still run so fast until we had to leg it up the hill to the school. All the other parents were coming down the hill in their cars having dropped their kids off on time. Oh the shame! I think I have made up for it by becoming a school Govenor and volunteering to go in to help in the classrooms.

I had to go into the office today to get my CRB form processed. There's been a lot of controversy in the media about CRB checks and the new register that comes into force in October (I think) but I wasn't bothered in the slightest about filling the form out. The school already knows a lot of the information on the form about me anyway! I'm quite looking forward to getting more involved with the school.

On the writing front my new plan of action has been implemented. I have had to change the agenda around a couple of times as things have cropped up that needed my attention, but I'm sticking to writing for five hours every week day. This includes any admin, research and interviewing/taking photographs. I'm aiming for 25 hours writing time a week with a couple of hours a few evenings a week or over the weekend if I don't hit my target in the week, or need extra time. I really felt the benefit of having a plan and more writing time this week.

I have had no news on any of the short stories I have out there at the moment,which I feel a bit frustrated and disheartened about. The more time that passes since I sent the stories out there, the more convinced I become that I'm going to get lots of rejected stories landing on my mat any day soon! If this happens it's going to be difficult to not feel disappointed but it just means I'll have to go back to the drawing board until I get the short stories right! I seem to be doing much better on the article front, which softens the blow a little. I had three articles in one local community magazine this week which was a bit of a shock, and I've almost finished the article for one of the writing magazines I asked my fellow writers to provide quotes for this week. (Thank you so much everyone who volunteered their services - it was much appreciated.)

This weekend I shall be in a room full of 10 kids aged between 3-6 for my daughter's birthday party. I'll also be interviewing a local golfer on Saturday afternoon for another article I'm writing. A writer's work is never done!

The plan next week is to pitch some more feature ideas to some magazines and get at least one more short story sent out. It's slow progress but I'm a lot further forward than I ever thought I'd get - thanks to the help, advice and encouragement from my fellow writing pals and bloggers!

Have a good weekend, whatever you're doing! Good luck Fee at your charity race.
Don't forget there are writing opportunities and material everywhere!

Julie xx

10 comments:

The Buddhist Conservative said...

When I begin to feel my motivation tank run dry, a quick visit here gives it a boost. I love your description of autumn.

You have an infectious spirit and open style. As long as you keep moving forward, nothing can stop you!

I missed your quote request but mine would most likely not be the best for making your article shine. The one I live by mostly is one of Mark Twain's.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow".

Namaste,
Roger

klahanie said...

Greetings Julie,
I'm busy, busy, busy...multi-tasking.
I also love the change in the seasons. Now you got me thinking about Christmas, which is affectionately known as 'Boxing Day Eve' in the 'klahanie' household. Oh, and before you ask, December 24th is Boxing Day Eve, Eve:-) I always do a rather bizarre blog around that time of the year.
Sorry, I'm rambling...
Continued good luck in your writing endeavours. Have a good weekend also. Kind wishes, Gary:-)

Suzanne Jones said...

It is a busy time of year, Julie. So glad your wee one's enjoying school.

XX

Julie P said...

Hi, Roger - I agree. The blogs on blogspot are wonderful. I know I've gained great advice and inspiration from them and had a lot of help for my articles!

I do put the call out from time to time on here for people willing to give me informtion/quotes for articles I'm writing and I'm always staggered by the amount of positive responses I get.

I agree - it's all about getting the writing done and sent out there whilst you can - never know what tomorrow may bring!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary - I think the whole season from now until Xmas should be renamed as it's no longer just a three day celebration (Xmas Eve, Xmas day and Boxing day) but seems to go on for weeks!! It drives me crackers! I think that time of year makes everyone ramble and I think we shall have to have a comp on here for the most bizarre Xmas blog!
Take care

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Yes I'm glad my daughters loving school too. It's such a relief. I think I was worried because I remember my 1st day at school and it was horrible - I think I cried all day!

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Julie,

My favourite time of year too, we usually spend a week or two in Scotland in October - love the changing colours, the rusty ferns that make the hills look as though they are on fire, and the colours of the larch, the fronds like delicate lace...
Love to read about your adventures, admire what you are doing, amazing progress.
Hugs....xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole and thanks!

I've never been to Scotland but I bet it's a lovely sight in Autumn - any time of year really.

Julie xx

Fee said...

Hi Julie

It is a Virginia Creeper that changes from green to dark red. Hope this is the answer you wanted.

Thanks for the support about the Relay event it went really well.

Best wishes

Fee

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fee. I knew someone would know what the lovely red ivy plant was!It's my favourite plant of Autumn so far.

Glad the Relay event went well - you had great weather for it.

Julie xx