Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Good News/Not so good news

Short mid week 'update' post on my progress so far. The feature I wrote on the local Amateur Dramatic group has been accepted for publication by the local newspaper! So it will be in soon. I'm particularly chuffed about this as the group have been absolutely wonderful to me and they deserve all the positive press they can get.

I had a letter about my unfortunate incident with an editor published in Writing Magazine. Fee had one in Writers' News. I see Simon Whaley got a mention in one of them too. Another of our members, Carole Ann Carr, had a feature in the local paper about her new book being published. Well done Carole. And another member got a letter published in the local paper - well done Angeline! Wrekin Writers are taking over the world!

On the not so good news front, I've had a rotten headache all day, which has not been helped by me trying to trawl through copyright laws and negotiate the twisting and never ending corridors of different websites copyright policies and trying to gain permission from them to use quotes for an article I'm trying to write.

I also had an email from The Weekly News rejecting one of my short stories: 2 down 19to go! It certainly softens the blow when you know you have more out there still with a chance of acceptance.

More positively, I approached a local business man who does workshops for other businesses and societies/groups,and has written a non-fiction book about it. He has agreed to give me an interview. I'm looking forward to that. It made me smile!

Nothing else to report but I think, on the whole, it's been a good week so far. Nice to hear about other blogger's recent successes too. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen.

Julie xx

6 comments:

Diane Perry said...

Hi Julie

You certainly have more positive items. It's fantastic about the newspaper article, well done and keep it up. I can't wait to see it.

As for the story - like you say more to go, so don't see any negatives there!

Good luck with the trawling of information, it will pay off - I am sure
Di
x

Olivia Ryan said...

Well done on your feature acceptance Julie, and the letter in the writing mag - I haven't opened my copy yet but look forward to reading it! I've been promised a 'bit' in the December issue of Writers News about my pseudonym situation, which I'm looking forward to seeing. Sorry to hear about the headache, and the Weekly News. Has anyone ever had anything accepted by them? I haven't, but I keep trying!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia. I'll have to look out for your piece in December. I never seem to recognise the names of the authors who have stories in the Weekly News. But I'm certainly going to try them again!

We will get in there one day!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di. At least my headache has gone now and I managed to write a 1,100 word article from scratch tonight! No idea how that happened!

I can't wait to see my feature in the Shropshire Star either, I hope it's okay! Do you worry about articles you've sent off and are going to be published? I do!

Wrekin Writers are doing so well at the moment and long may it continue!

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Good for you? How about an interview with me and a review of my latest book for a local paper? There is no such thing as over exposure when one is trying to be known. If you are game, I'll send you a copy of the book, by the way, your daughter might enjoy it and hopefully make a good comment :-)
If you like the idea, will send a copy, do I have your address? Off to Scotland, via a few days in the Lakes and book signing on Lindisfarne, will post before I leave, maybe see you upon return. Hugs...love xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole. Sounds good to me. I'll email you my address and see what we can come up with

Julie xx