Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 6 September 2009

Tomorrow's The Day!

Well, the sarnie bag is packed; the uniform is hung up; the shoes have been polished to within an inch of their life; my daughter's in bed, and there are only 13 hours until my daughter starts school full time. She's ready; I'm ready; I hope the school's ready! And it's only 13 hours until the 'new' me emerges.

Oh yes! Tomorrow is the new, 'get serious and get organised with your writing' me. I have decided that I am long over due an overhaul and my writing and my attitude/state of mind has to change if I'm going to get further with my writing career. The gloves are off and as my daughter is going to school - so am I!

I have worked out a schedule and, God willing, I am going to stick to it. The schedule is light to start with as I don't want to fail before I get started. I can always add writing tasks to complete if I feel the pace is too slack and build it up to a comfortable sprint. I am also starting a short Journalism correspondence course as soon as the course material comes through the post.

I am determined shift a few gears in my writing and get going. I've been allowing myself to meander on cruise control for too long and it's time to get out of my comfort zone and move things forward. I need to get organised and more professional in my approach to writing instead of pussy footing around and getting nervous and anxious about it all. I have to remind myself of what I have achieved so far and that I am capable of more.

I'm doing some of the right things by writing and sending stuff out there but I need to be more organised and business like about it. Now my daughter is at school I have the ideal opportunity to write to a schedule around her regular school hours.I am lucky to be in this situation and I realise that most other writers don't have the luxury I have - time. I would be a fool to waste this chance, so I'm embracing it with a new-found exuberance and joy.

I hope you will grab every chance you have to write with a passion too. It's time to stop procrastinating so much (a little time wasting does a writer good, I feel!) and get on with the job in hand.

Happy writing! And if your kids or grandkids, nephews and nieces are going back to school tomorrow - good luck and I hope that you and the kids have a great time.

Julie xx

4 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

I just tried to leave a comment, but don't quite know what happened, so apologies if this posts twice...

Such an exciting time for both of you. And you're so wise to have a plan to keep busy. I'm the sad mum who parked down the road from school on my little angel's first day and sat with my mobile in case she needed me. Of course, nobody called and she had a great time. It seems like yesterday...she's in form II now (went back week before last).

X

Teresa Ashby said...

Thinking of you and Isobel today, Julie! Such a Big Day!
Good luck with the new writing schedule!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Wonderful, brings back a great deal of sadness and there's humour too. First day back for me, an ancient teacher of far too many years in the classroom, and that first day with the 'new' children was always exciting for them and me . Hugs...

Fran Hill said...

Hope the first day goes well. Stay determined to write, and don't let the ironing tell you otherwise. Funny how it can seem so inviting to do three hours of it when inspiration won't strike ...