Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 23 October 2009

Bare Faced Cheek - The Sequal!

Well, it appears that miracles do happen. My daughter's cardigan has turned up! It was in her PE bag that we keep at the school! You would think, considering that it was on PE day the cardigan went missing it would be the first place the school looked - but no. I did actually say to my husband last night that I wondered if the cardigan had been stuffed in her PE bag. So the mystery is over. Thankfully.I am going to sew 'secret tags' in to her cardigans now as I have been warned by another parent that some parents will snip the name tags out! The sneaks! I am relieved, however, that none of the parents had stolen the cardigan. The thought that a parent of one of my daughter's classmates was capable of stealing a cardigan didn't sit easy with me and made me very sad and uncomfortable. But, apparently, it's happened before.

I also spoke to the deputy head and I will be going into the classrooms after half term to help out. I've offered, specifically, to help with reading and writing and any poetry/creative writing they do. I don't write children's fiction but I think I'm going to enjoy learning about how children learn to read and write. They are using this innovative Russian teaching method developed by Galina Doyla that uses learning through play and teaches children to use their creativity and own resources to learn rather than just being taught in the traditional manner - they learn how to learn).

I was quite surprised when I heard they were doing it and my husband went up to the information evening on it and purchased the book about it. It looks great - and I'm intrigued to see how it works in practice.

I had another rejection from Take A Break yesterday so I'm quite glad of the postal strike today - at least I can't get one today! Unless they e-mail it through. I shall have to ignore my in-box!

I've done quite well on my article about the wildlife rescue center and I'll be finishing it off today and e-mailing it through on Monday and sending a disc of photos (postal strike permitting). I'm also going to send out a disc of photos to Country & Border Life for the amateur dramatic group article. I don't hold out much hope of acceptance here as they don't seem to like my photos! Still, I will try. I have had a few photos from one of their photographers so maybe they will be better and the editor will accept them. If not I'll just try other magazines. You have to be flexible and if one editor says no just try another. It worked with the archery article!

I haven't been writing or editing any short stories over the past few weeks as I've been concentrating on my articles but I'm aiming to restart that soon.I have been scribbling ideas down.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. The editor of the Shropshire Star emailed me to say my review of the Amateur dramatic group's performance of The Woman In White will hopefully be in tomorrow's paper! Wooh Hooh Hooh!! It's such a confidence boost and it's made me more determined to carry on writing.

Have a great weekend and carry on writing

Julie xx

4 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

So very good to see your continuing progress,Julie, you are doing so very well, and the solution to the cardigan unhappiness, thank goodness! Carole xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I'm glad the cardigan is back too! I think her teacher is too. My daughter, of course, found the whole thing hilarious!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Yay - so glad the cardie turned up.

Hugs for the R - but well done you for the successes.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! It's mufti day today so all the kids have paid a pound and gone in their own clothes instead of uniform today to boost school funds. So no chance of a lost cardi today!

And thanks for the hugs re the R. The postman did come and I thought I'd got another R as there was a suspicious envelope on the mat - but it was a local council mori poll survey thing!

I think I'm getting there slowly.I've had some great successes, just got to keep going really.

Good luck with your endeavours too.

Julie xx