Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 9 October 2009

I've gone and done it now .......

Well. I've finally gone and done it. Yes, I've signed up to NaNoWriMo (is that right?!) I'm going to attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. I have probably taken leave of my senses and will live to regret it. But it's something I've been thinking about doing for a while and I chickened out last year. But a lot of my fellow Open University forum users are doing it so I have been inspired and encouraged to give it go. Is anyone else in Blog Land doing it too? Come on! Let's see how many bloggers we can get doing it.

Have you done it before? How did you get on? Did you find it a worthwhile experience?
I have no idea what I'm going to write and will probably have to end up making it up as I go along. I want to challenge myself to see if I can stick to a strict word count every day and get a novel in first draft completed within the time limit. Well it seemed a good idea at the time.

If you fancy joining up too click here

6 comments:

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Well done Julie, I know you'll find it interesting and reward, not to mention bloody hard work. I know because I've done it three times and on the finally day Simon has emailed or rung me regularly to find out how far I've got to go. I must admit there is an overwhelming sense of relief when you put in that full stop but oh the sense of achievement is amazing. I know you'll do it and hey you never know, I'm thinking about giving it a go again. It's a great motivation to write and you find that when you've done your quota for the day, your brain is still ticking.

Good luck and loads of love

Sue xx

PS The security thing you have to type to validate your comment says 'ilike' :-)

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue. I'm quite looking forward to it now. How many WW can we get doing it this year do you think?!

Roll on 1st Nov! Good luck, Sue, and everyone else attempting it.

Love Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Julie
Gosh - you make me feel ashamed, my novel took me eight years and I am still editing it!
Good luck - go for it girl!

Di
x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di. I have no idea as to whether I'll make it through to the 50,000 words but I'm going to do my best!

Any news on your novel?

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Good luck, Julie - I'm so impressed! I'm sure you can do it. I'd love to know how it goes.
xx

Julie P said...

I'll keep everyone up to date on how it goes. At least I have an idea now for the novel. I'm looking forward to starting but I'm nervous too - I've never tried to write a novel before.

Julie xx