Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 31 October 2009

NaNoWriMo countdown

I've just been on to the NaNo web site to update my details. I'm Julou on there and I could do with some more lovely NaNo writing buddies to keep me on the straight and narrow while I'm attempting this seemingly impossible task!

Congratulations to everyone else who is also attempting NaNo this year - may the force be with us all! I'm still feeling a bit nervous but I'm also getting a bit excited now that there's only 12 hours and twenty minutes to go! But I don't think I'll be staying up til the witching hour to start mine. I'll be starting my NaNo novel probably tomorrow afternoon as it's my first morning in the classroom tomorrow at my daughters school. I'm doing monday mornings and Tuesday afternoons to start with. But the majority of my NaNo writing is going to have to take place in the evenings when she's in bed. I'll be switching the TV off again - apart from for FlashForward on mondays at 9pm! (I'll just have to write faster that day!) Maybe I could 'Flash Forward' to Nov 30th and a manuscript of 50,000 + words!

I want to use the day times to write my features, articles and short stories. I don't want NaNo to intefere with that as I want to be able to earn some money from my writing at some point! Does any one know what the average length for a novel actually is? I'm not talking War and Peace here, but is there a standardish word count range for novels? I was just curious as if the novel goes half well I might expand it.

Happy NaNo to those doing it and for those who aren't happy writing whatever you're writing!

Julie xx

PS I've seen a couple of my fellow bloggers have that word count gadget thingie on their blogs. How do I get that so I can keep a record of my NaNo wordcount on here to show my progress?

11 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Happy NaNo-ing to you, too. And enjoy your days at your daughter's school.

I got my wordcount thingy from here:

http://languageisavirus.com/nanowrimo/word-meter.html#

Suzanne Jones said...

I've just added you as a friend (I'm WelshWitch).

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne. I'll have a look at the word count thingy. And I'll add you as a buddy too.

3 hrs 45 mins to go!

Julie xxx

Julie P said...

I just tried to get the word counter but don't know how to get it on to my blog!

Julie xxx

Julie P said...

I just tried to get the word counter but don't know how to get it on to my blog!

Julie xxx

Sue Horder-Mason said...

May is supposed to be the month of madness, perhaps November should be labelled as the month of insanity. But we'll do it together ;-)

Good luck my friend and enjoy.

Sue xx

PS Thank you Suzanne I followed your link and have added my word count to my blogs - all I have to do now is fill it in lol

Good luck to you too.

Julie P said...

How did you get the word count to go on your blog, Sue? It's been driving me crazy and you know I grow extra facial hair and start growling and do some sort of strange'Dad' dance when I get crazy!

Yes, may the November madness begin! Best of luck

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Me too, Sue. And you're welcome.

Julie, go into blog layout - add gadget - click 'Add third-party functionality or other code to your blog'

From the couter site - pick the colour you want, fill in the total number of words you've written - press calculate - this will bring up a code lower down on the left hand side of the page - copy and paste onto the gadget.

Hope I've explained it properly.

XX

Lynne Hackles said...

I believe as first novel should be between 80,000 and 100,000 words. My agent asked for 80,000.
Good luck with NaNo.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue and Suzanne, but I think I must be being particularly thick today! I get as far as the code coming up and choosing the colour of my counter but I have no idea how to copy and paste it over to my blog?! I've tried about five time now and I'm fast losing the will to live!!

I need blow by blow instructions from the point of clicking on the 'calculate' button as after that I have no idea what I'm doing?!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Lynne. I was just curious. I'll see how the first 50,000 go first! Whose idea was it to do NaNo again?!!

Julie xx