Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 16 October 2009

Poetry treat

I've just got back from an evening with Carol Ann Duffy, poet laureate organised by the Wellington Literary Festival. I am ashamed to admit that it's the first time I've ever been to one of the performances at this festival. I was very impressed and I'm so glad I didn't pass up the chance to see her and hear her read her poems out loud.

That is the thing with poetry; it's like music and works best when listened to so you capture the flow, movement and rhythm. It was an enjoyable evening and I'd never realised how funny some of her poems were. I have to confess that I haven't read many of her poems, but then I haven't read a lot of any poetry recently. I really should though.

Carol has local links as she was brought up in nearby Stafford and said she remembers coming to Shropshire many times in her youth. I know she also has strong links with my favourite book shop, Wenlock Books, and I think Carol is coming to the Wenlock Poetry Festival in April 2010 which I must make the effort to attend!!

Now I've cut my first 'literary festival' tooth I'm determined to attend more of these events next year. I've really learned so much about rhythm and the use of slant rhymes, how the right choice of word is so important, revision, and also how to read poetry out - to bring the emotion to life.

Tomorrow is the Wrekin Writers' workshop as part of the same festival. It's my first time at this event too.so I'm really looking forward to it. A morning of article writing and an afternoon of short story writing run by a professional writer. What more could a girl want?! Okay, maybe chocolate and a glass of red wine - but hey, you can't have it all. I'm on tea duty and rumour has it that there will be coffee and biscuits too!

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

I adore literary festivals. You learn so much from them and it's always a bonus to meet with like minded individuals.

Enjoy today (and I hope someone brings you chocolate and wine).

XX

Fran Hill said...

Carol Ann Duffy came to perform near my home last week for our literary festival and she was fab. I've only seen her perform before at a schools-based event when her audience was a few thousand teenagers, and she didn't seem half so confident, or funny. The kids weren't impressed at all. But last week I thought, like you, that she was very entertaining, funny and sharp. Great evening. And then I went with my friend for a giant pizza. That's what I call an evening out.

Melanie Lewicka said...

Hi Julie - glad you made it to the festival and enjoyed it. I had planned to go down to Wigtown to the book festival recently but couldn't afford it in the end. Maybe next year.

Julie P said...

I'm looking forward to attending some more literary events next year, Suzanne. I agree, they are great networking opportunities as well as great for advice and tips.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fran. Yes I thought Carol Ann Duffy was great. She's been doing the rounds of the literary festivals hasn't she. She came to one in Much Wenlock, the town I grew up in, earlier this year, but I missed her.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Finance is a problem isn't it, Melanie. They can be quite expensive, some literary festivals can't they. But hopefully you'll be able to go to the Hay next year. I've never been there. We might well meet some fellow bloggers on our travels!

Julie xx