Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 29 October 2009

Three Little Piggies


I had a wonderful time up at my daughter's school this morning and I just had to blog about it. The school have held daily sessions as part of a half term after school activities project. Today it was the craft and drama session and the theme was the Three Little Pigs.

I had some difficulty persuading my daughter to go into the art room, the venue for this extravaganza, in that she refused point blank to budge and go through the door!! Chip of the old block and very funny when you consider the Stokes' (my maiden name) family motto is 'stubborn virtue conquers all'! Indeed But after much coaxing and her playing the 'I'm only coming in if Mummy can stay' card we got her in!! It comes to something when the mother of the child is more excited about making a pig mask out of card, glue and scrunched up tissue paper than the daughter is! You have to remember that I don't get out much!!

We were treated to two super stories: Three Little Pigs and one about a wolf saying he didn't do it (a rap no less!) Very cool. Then we had a choice of activities: make a pig or wolf mask, paint a house of bricks, stick straws to a picture of a house or paint big plastic sticks and stick them onto a picture of a house, computer games, make a picture book, colouring in. Then we had snacks and went to play in the adventure playground at the school! I haven't had such fun in ages! I think my daughter quite enjoyed it in the end too.

I'm shattered now though. And my daughter has flopped on the sofa with a blanket, taking it easy.It was a shame their were only five kids but it was still great. They are doing other after school clubs when they go back to school next week too. My daughter has agreed to attend the Christmas Club where they'll be making all things Christmassy and glittery Mondays after school so you can guess where I'll be, up to my ears in glitter and glue and wrapped in tinsel!!

My daughter is quite shy when it comes to trying new things and won't stay at these group things without me or her dad, but I don't mind helping out and it's nice to do things with her and watch her in the school environment. Seeing as I'll be in the school helping out in the classrooms from Monday it was nice to go into one of the classrooms today and get acclimatised.

Off to visit my dad later as it's his birthday today. My daughter is now asleep!

I'm all ready for the interview tomorrow and so will be editing a different feature this evening then, when that's out the way, I'll be concentrating on writing up the feature on the man I'm interviewing tomorrow. That's after I've been round Cosford Air Museum with my husband, daughter and my dad again - we went a few weeks ago but we missed a hanger out and dad wants to go back. We were going on the Seven Valley Railway as my dad has always wanted to do it but never has - too expensive at the moment, but I have promised to take him on when I get some money through for my writing! I'll take him to see Santa on the Santa special!

Happy writing

Julie xx

8 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

A delightful blog, enjoyed every word of it, I can see why your magazine articles are so good. And I do hope your Dad gets to see Santa!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole!

I shall be taking photos if I do get my dad in to see Santa. He used to play Santa every year for the Royal British Legion when they threw kid's Christmas parties and neither me or my sister cottoned on it was him until we were about ten or eleven! Even though we'd sat on 'Santa's' lap many a time!We suspected nothing!

We've just come back from visiting him and he's looking forward to tomorrow.
Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Sounds like you had a good day.

Happy Birthday to your dad.

Carole Anne Carr said...

He sounds a lovely dad, hope you post a photograph of you all enjoying the Santa Express....xx

Diane Perry said...

Julie,

Love the piggy mask, wish I could come to the Christmas club! It's my favourite time of year. On the
1st December I start the countdown. It's great because I have 24 days of acting like a child again! ( although I do practice this through the whole year)

Di
x

Julie P said...

It's a fab piggie mask isn't it! I'm going to have so much fun at Christmas club - I'll send you all the details of what they've made so you can have your own Christmas club at home, Di!

I think we should all find our inner child and let them out to play every now and then.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oh yes, Carole, I'll certainly put a photo or two on here of the Santa Express!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne. It was agreat day. We're off to RAF Cosford later today with him so I hope it's going to be another great day today - after I've done this interview.

Julie xx