Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 22 November 2009

Don't Forget Your Tooth brush!



I had wonderful surprise this morning. I was sitting in my dad's bungalow with my husband, daughter, sister and her brood, perusing the Sunday papers when I came across the letters page. I was casting my eye over the letters to see what people were moaning about today and a head line on a letter jumped out at me. Oh! I thought, someone else has written in about the same subject as I did last week (Peter Hitchin's column on using 'tough love' to rear children) and they got letter of the week - how very dare they, I thought! I refused to read it in protest but glanced at the name of the letter writer and the lucky person who had won an overnight stay in a top luxury hotel - and yes, you've guessed it, it was me!!!

I had to do a dance around my dad's lounge to celebrate, which wasn't easy as it's a small room with 8 people and a dog in there! I've only ever won pens and a small moleskine notebook before. And I hadn't written any letters to the newspapers for a while so I am dead chuffed! I've had a look on-line at the hotels included in the prize and I think it will be one in the middle of Chester as we've never been there before. And yes, I can feel an article coming on!!

I will, of course be blogging about the hotel and what a wonderful time I've had (I hope) when I've been - no idea when I'll be going yet.

Wooh Hooh! I could do with a night away. I've never stayed in such a luxurious hotel before, and I know it's only one night but hey, I shall look forward to having a look round Chester too.

Keep writing and you never know what lovely treats may come your way!

Julie xx

21 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

So funny! And what a wonderful surprise! Can't wait to see where you will be going!! Hugs and congratulations, Julie..xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole!

I can't wait to go. My dad thought it was hilarious!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Julie, this is fantastic news! I'm thrilled for you - how exciting! I can just imagine how you felt when you realised it was you! Can't wait to hear all about it - you must be over the moon, and I bet your family were so proud, too!
xxx

Olivia Ryan said...

PS: I've just found your letter in the paper, too! And told my husband all about you! What a lovely prize - luxury hotel - well-deserved. xx

David said...

What a fantastic surprise Julie! Hope you both really enjoy Chester. It's a lovely, old city with city walls that you can investigate and also great shopping. Maybe you will be able to write a ghost story based on your experience as well as an article!

Each time I go somewhere new or experience something different I think to myself 'Hmmm I wonder if I could write a story about this?' I suppose that is what people say about writing opening your eyes to the world.

Congratulations again!

David

dcrelief said...

Hi Julie,
I was reading "A jewel shining through," and thought to pop over here, and have a peek at your blogspot! WOW, congratulations! ~and maybe you'll show off that letter you sent. I could swap you a 'Lovely Blog' Award. :)
Best wishes, Dixie

Lynne Hackles said...

Great news Julie. Go and enjoy yourself. Chester is a wonderful place. You'll love it.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia, and yes, it was a great surprise - I think I nearly gave my poor old dad a heart attack the way I leapt out of my chair! Oh course he had first dibs of reading it after me. He's always interested in my letters in the papers. His first question on greeting me usually is 'Sent any more letters to the papers then?' And if I say no, he says 'Get on then.'! He's always down the local newsagents bending the poor shop assistant's ear about my writing and showing her my letters!

I will be too frightened to breathe in such a luxurious place!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, David!

I googled Chester and I think it looks wonderful. I really can't wait, and with my sister on child sitting duty we are all set.

Great writer's minds think alike as my first thought after 'Oh my God I've won a night in a luxury hotel,' was 'What writing opportunities will there be?!'

A ghost story with a ghost who has his/her standards and only haunts the very best of hotels - like a specteral hotel inspector! Now that could be interesting!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Dixie.

And welcome to my blog! The letter was only short and should be at the top of the blog if anyone wants to lok at it. If you click on the pic it should enlarge - well I think it should but who knows with these computer things!

Where did the 'lovely blog' award come from - does anyone know?

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Ta muchly, Lynne. I'm so looking forward to exploring the city too. It's a place we've always said we wanted to explore but never got round too. Definitely taking my camera and note book!

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Yay - well done, Julie. Enjoy your luxury break, you deserve it.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I can't wait.

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Wowwee! How good is this? Have a really wonderful time in Chester. It is indeed a lovely place.
Now then, please make sure you are not still dancing when you type about your trip. Could be a might tricky.
Excellent news and continued happy writing.
Positive wishes, Gary x

Elizabeth McKay said...

Very well done, Julie. What a brilliant surprise. Your dad sounds lovely and he's obviously a great encouragement to you. I've only been to Chester once and it was years ago, but I remember it was such a lovely city. Enjoy every minute of it. You've worked really hard.

Julie P said...

Ta, Gary. I still can't believe it! And no, I will try and keep my bum on the seat when I write about it all! No dancing allowed!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. Yes, my dad is really funny and scours the paper for my letters! He was amazed when I got a couple of articles in the county glossy mag too. He never knows what I'm going to get up to next!

I'm looking forward to seeing Chester and seeing how the other half live for a night! They might not let me and my husband in - we're more used to the servant's quarters!

I'm sure I read a story of yours in one of the mags recently but I can't think which mag it was - oh yes that's it Something I said in My Weekly - well done. It's an excellent story. I loved the univeral truth that men will rarely be able to say the right thing to women!! Made me giggle.

Julie xx

Elizabeth McKay said...

Thanks, Julie. I think that was my first My Weekly success since they introduced their new guidlelines.

Julie P said...

All the more to celebrate then, Elizabeth! May you have many more published in there.

Julie xx

Teresa Ashby said...

Well done, Julie - now that's what I call a brilliant surprise, no wonder you were dancing round.
Your dad sounds lovely.
Hope you have a great time x

Julie P said...

Ta, Teresa! I nearly put my back out with all that dancing, though!
My family just let me get on with it as they're used to my eccentricity!
Julie xx