Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 25 November 2009

NaNo novel uploaded and counted


I am now an official 'winner' on NaNo. For some reason my word count over on the NaNo web site when I uploaded my novel was higher by about 200 words so that's a bonus. I've posted a copy of my 'winner's' certificate! Keep going everyone else who is doing NaNo - five days to go so come on! If I can do it so can you. I want to send Sue and Suzanne, who are doing so well, in particular, a good luck message, and for everyone else who may be struggling with it.

It doesn't matter if you make the NaNo deadline or not. What does matter is that you actually took the plunge and started that novel. Every word is a word further toward your target and completing your novel. So whether it takes you thirty days, thirty months or thirty years - if your goal is to finish writing a complete novel then the only way you're going to do that is to sit down when you can and write. If you can't write everyday and can only manage a couple of hours a week, as long as you do it regularly you will eventually do it.

If you didn't do NaNo then do as Suzanne is doing and start your own 'pseudo' NaNo any time of year that suits you. You will be amazed at how many words you can get down on that paper if you try.

I found NaNo to be a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I did it. From tomorrow I aim to get a few more words down on my NaNo novel until the 30th November. Then I'll leave it a bit. I'm not going to read through it until I've finished the first draft as plunging blindly into the plot and continuation of the story seems to have suited me so far so I may as well carry it on. Writing is all about finding your own way and what works for you and as long as you finished whatever you started you will never be a failure/ You might not get it published but that isn't the only aim of writing.

For now I'm going to go for a walk while the sun is shining and the rain holds off. I could do with some fresh air.

Happy writing

Julie xx

6 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Whey hey - you've done brilliantly well. Congratulations.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne. Glad the pseudo NaNo's going well too.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Well done, Julie - that must be such a great feeling. Hope you enjoyed your walk. We went to see Middle Daughter (with baby Noah) who lives at Leigh on Sea, and had a Very Bracing walk along the sea front ... well, OK, Thames Estuary if you want to be pedantic about it, but it was definitely Very Bracing! x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia, and yes, I did enjoy my walk. The sky was blue but it was still cold and very windy. I went round the Pool - it's an old industrial water reservoir from the industrial revolution and it's very beautiful. I saw some grebes, ducks and geese,moor hens etc. Some work men were coppicing the trees in the little wooded area there too. So it was a nice little walk to blow the cobwebs away!

I'm glad Noah and mum and yourself had a nice walk too. It can be a sea front if you want it to be, Olivia!

I was sorting through some old copies of the women's mags today ready to start the analysis and saw one by you! It made me smile,

Julie xx

Amanda said...

Popped over from Womag's blog - congratulations on your NaNo success!

Julie P said...

Thanks, Amanda! I love Womag's blog - so informative.

Julie xx