Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 13 November 2009

Stormy weekend

Better batten down the hatches as it's going to be a rough weekend - and I don't mean just weather wise. Already outside the wind is blowing a gale and I can hear the rain splattering against my widow. I love this kind of weather, but only when I don't have to be out in it. Unfortunately my daughter and me got a soaking yesterday when we had a sudden heavy downpour as we walked home from school, but hey ho.

I particularly like to lie in bed at night and listen to the storm that's raging outside around me. I find it strangely calming and definitely inspiring. I imagine all my cobwebs being blown away and all the rubbish being whipped up by the wind and deposited elsewhere, far, far away from me. There's something magical and grounding about extreme weather. It's exhilarating but scary at the same time. My heart beats faster when I see the trees swaying side to side and the rain cascading down from the sky. It makes me think how lucky I am to be alive and able to witness all that nature can throw at the Earth, I am of course watching from a safe distance and the storms we are experiencing tonight are only babies compared to some of the mega storms other parts of the world experience. I'm sure I should have been a tornado chaser.

I don't know how I'd cope if an F4 was heading my way though. And when I see the destruction these storms cause in places like India and all over Asia on the TV: People being carried along on tidal waves and losing their homes, livelihoods and loved ones it makes sobering viewing. We don't know how lucky we are in this country with our relatively stable climate. Yes, I know it rains a lot but at least we have little chance of the wind whipping our house away, or a huge tidal wave engulfing us.

The other reason I'm battening down the hatches is for my NaNo novel too. I'm almost at the half point now and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep the story going! I'm having to slow the pace down a little and think of other bits to add to the storyline so I don't run out of story before the end of the 50,000 words! But I'm finding that as I go along sudden thoughts pop into my head like a new character or a new twist to the plot that gets me scrabbling for the keyboard and typing away like mad again. I'm going to try and sit the storm out this weekend and buckle down to NaNo and see if I can get through this Mid-story crisis. At the moment I have a couple of ideas for the next two chapters but after that I'm struggling a bit. I'm hoping that while I'm writing these chapters I'll be struck (not by lightening I hope) by my creativity muse and the story will continue.

I'm surprised that I've written as many words as I have over the past two weeks for NaNo and it's certainly got be fired up and I'm determined to see it through to the bitter end (famous last words).

I've sent two articles out this week and a couple of proposals and I also went crazy on the reader's letters too, sending them here, there and everywhere! So look out in a newspaper or magazine near you soon - it may have my name under it. I hadn't sent any out for ages so thought it was about time I did.

No news on any of my stuff already out there, but I'm going to be carrying on with NaNo and writing up a couple more articles to be posted Monday. I'll also be sending more proposals out. Got to keep moving forward in this game!

Well done to Sue and her NaNo efforts too - impressive word count. Keep it up Sue.
And well done to all the other NaNo-ists out there - keep going!

Happy writing and the best of luck.

Julie xx

4 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, I hope you see lots of articles and letters and stories with your name under them! I have a vested interest! :-) Hugs...xx

Julie P said...

You do, Carole! Tee hee.
Julie xx

Doctor FTSE said...

Can any aspiring writer help another perspiring writer with a problem. It's in connection with a poem I am wrestling with.



How does one define "sweetheart"?



Thanks for your help, folks, and just for interest, today's wiggly verification word is "gedump"

I think comment posters should as a matter of course, display the verification word. Who knows what inspiration might lie there

.

Best wishes

Julie P said...

Ah! Sweetheart means different things to different people. So if you are writing a poem with the word 'sweetheart' or about love/sweethearts then I would advise speaking from the heart and searching within your own experiences of 'love' and matters of the heart - that was you will inject more ' feeling' into the poem. There are, of course, sweetheart sweets I seem to remember from childhood!

Julie