Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 3 November 2009

We're on a roll

After the initial hiccoughs I have now made a start on my NaNo novel. I only managed just over 500 words last night - but it's 500 words better than nothing! Once I got stared it just sort of flowed, which I'm glad about. I thought the minute my writer's bum hit the chair and my hands were poised over the keyboard I'd immediately get stuck and fizzle out. But that didn't happen.

I think that because the people behind NaNo have given me permission to write a load of rubbish (some days that's all I seem to be able to write anyway!) the pressure has gone and I feel free to write what I like. I'm not bogged down by grammar and worrying about spelling or clumsy sentences. I just write, safe in the knowledge that I can sort out any problems later on when the thirty days of NaNo are over.

Today I'm back on track to write my 1,600 - 2000 words a day, which I will do this evening. I'm quite enjoying doing NaNo so far, but as to how I'll feel in a couple of weeks time, you'll have to watch this space! For me, it's all about having a go at something I've never had the courage to do before. It's not about trying to write a best seller, or produce a book at the end of thirty days. I might not hit the 50,0000 words but what I do produce may just spark off other ideas for other, smaller projects. I'm using the NaNo experience as a huge guided free writing exercise. It may sound a contradiction in terms but basically I just write freely within a given theme and if it goes off tangent I just go with it. Who knows where it might lead me.

It was also my first day in the classrooms at my daughter's school yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Despite my apprehension and dislike of being in crowded rooms, I found it a very positive experience. I would advocate writers, especially children's authors, to go in to their local schools and spend a few hours helping the kids with their reading. I don't write for kids but I was amazed at how well the kids read. I was doing one-to-one readings with the kids the teachers felt would benefit from the guided reading practice. The kids seemed to like me and had no qualms about coming out of their class into a quiet room with me to read to me. I'm going back in this afternoon to do more of the same.

Happy writing

Julie xx

18 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

I'm sure they liked you Julie! And a big well done with Nano! Hugs...xx

Martin H. said...

All the best with your writing project Julie. Sounds as though you've got the wind behind you now.

Also good to hear about your classroom experiences. Did you ever make any more progress with your ideas for creative writing in the school?

Julie P said...

Hi, Martin and thank you. Yes I can feel the wind building up quite nicely now and intend to keep on track from this evening.

I haven't broached the subject of creative writing sessions for the kids at the school yet as I'm just finding my feet at the moment. But I think the kids will be receptive towards it. I'll have a chat with the deputy head soon and see if they are open to it and if so how we might do it.

I'm quite happy to help out at the school in anyway I can and I hope they'll be willing to let me try some of my suggestions out. I'll let you know how I get on.

I did spy some muscical instruments: Tambourine, shakers, maracas. drums and the like and I got really excited as I could so use those in a poetry/rhythm workshop there!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I've just come back from my afternoon reading session and it was great. It was with the same kids as yesterday and it was nice to be able to develop a bit of a rapport with them.

I'm going to do write more of my NaNo novel tonight - see if I can get my loe word count up!

Julie xx

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oooops sorry, Teresa. I'm sure there was a comment from you here but I think I deleted it instead of published it! I haven't got my glasses on and have gone a bit cross eyed. But yes I'm enjoying NaNo now!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Hi Julie. Well done with your NaNo progress, and with the classroom work! All good experience!

I'm so excited - I've just found out that Teresa Ashby has nominated me for the Lovely Blog award! And I'm now passing the award on to you - I love your blog and it always makes me feel so positive to read about your progress. My new blog post makes the announcement - go over and accept your award!

Apparently the rules are:
1) Accept the award and don't forget to post a link back to the awarding person
2) Pass the award on
3) Notify the award winners

Love, Olivia xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I'm on a bun:-)
Seriously, well done for challenging your anxiety in regards to crowded rooms.
Glad you are enjoying doing 'NaNo'. Yes, I've finally realised that it has nothing to do with 'Mork and Mindy'.
All the best and happy writing.
Kind wishes, Gary:-)

Diane Perry said...

Hi Julie

So glad you got your counter thing done! It's exciting to see how you are doing each day. It's wonderful that you and Sue are doing this and look forward to seeing how you get on.
Lots of luck
Di
x

Julie P said...

Oooh! Thank you Olivia for passing the lovely blog award on to me.I am now blushing! But how do I choose who to pass it on to - there's so many wonderful blogs out there!

The kids in school are great and read very well. I was impressed. I'm looking forward to going in next week too.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary

Yes, I'm not usually great in crowded rooms. It's not so bad if I know the people in the room well, but if it's strangers I'm in a bit of trouble. I used to avoid going to places where I knew there would be crowds of strangers, but I'm not so bad now. I still have to make myself do it sometimes, but at least I do it now rather than avoid!

I am about to start my second session of NaNo novel writing and try to bump my word count up! I used to love Mork And Mindy - my NaNo novel does have an alien/supernatural feel to it so I guess that Mork And Mindy live on!

Nanoo, Nanooooo!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di!

Yes I managed (with a lot of help) to get the counter thingy functioning and on my blog. I'm going to write some more now. I'm excited about seeing how far I can push the bar along too.

Julie xx

firstperson writer said...

Hi Julie,

Well done you on signing up for Nano, you're far braver than me!

There will be obstacles along the way I'm sure, but I think you'll find ways of overcoming them

Best wishes...

Julie P said...

Hi, First Person,

I'm not sure if I'm brave or just stupid! But I'm having a marathon NaNo session today to catch up.

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I Must be mad - I'm spending November DELETING words from my novel, not writing 50,000 words!

Good luck!

Fee said...

Wow Julie congratulations on all you are achieving. I would never have thought about a music rhythm for poetry clever you.

Enjoy your nano novel as much as you can. As you say it doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense.

Best wishes

Fee

Julie P said...

If I could have some of your deleted words, Simon, I'd be on to a winner!!! Not long until your retreat - we shall miss you. Will you be blogging about your experiences at some point?

Hope you have a good and productive time.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fee.

I've always thought that poetry and music are interlinked and I just thought that it would be fun for the kids to try some poetry in a musical way. We'll see what happens!

I'm not doing too badly on my NaNo novel now. It's not the best thing I've ever written bit I didn't expect it to be. But I'm enjoying the process. It's amazing how quick the time flies once I'm in to it.

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Well done, Julie - I'm going to start my nano tomorrow (I hope).

And glad it went well in the classroom.

XX