Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 27 December 2009

Dead Space

Well that's Christmas over for another year then! The thing is, what to do in the middle between Christmas and the New Year? I always see this time as like a kind of dead space, but it isn't really. It's also a period of rehab! A chance to recover and recuperate after a hard and long year and to calm things down following all the excitement that Christmas brings before the New Year begins and we get to embark on all of that hard work all over again!

I already know where my my writing is heading in 2010 - mind you I said that the end of last year - and look what happened! I started off writing short stories but had more success with my articles - something I didn't think I'd ever do. I've worked out a plan but I have a feeling I shall be careering off road without my elbow and knee pads or helmet again in 2010.

Already, I can feel the tingling starting in my fingers when I get the urge to get going with some writing and I'm very excited about where I can take my writing next year. I am eager to get going again. I have a few articles that I know are due to be published in 2010 - when, I have no idea, but that's half the fun: the suspense;seeing my name in print; working out what to write about next, and hopefully some money to show for my efforts. I put money last as, for me, writing is not about the money, it's about the process and learning and improving the writing and then passing that knowledge from my experiences on to other writers who may find the information and advice helpful.

For 2010 I want to finish off my NaNo Novel Sawdust and I'm keen to get working on the short stories for women's mags again - using the research I did on Take A Break and The Weekly News. I am even more determined to look at that research and the stories and get into my brain just what it is about my own stories the editors don't like ,in the hope I can improve them and turn them into something the editors do like and will buy. Having sent out 39 short stories to the mags in 2009 and only having one published means I can do it but there's still something I'm missing and my stories are lacking and I wish I could work out what that is! Still I'm not shy of hard work and have plenty of ideas so it's back to the grindstone again.

I wish everyone in Blog Land lots of luck for the coming year for your lives and writing and I hope you all achieve your goals, whatever they may be. I'll be posting about stuff that I encounter and find useful as ,my quest continues in 2010 in the hope it may help other writers too.

Julie xx

10 comments:

Martin H. said...

Good luck for 2010 Julie. Keep bashing away and who knows what will happen? Life's full of surprises!

Simon Whaley said...

I love this 'dead space' time. When I was employed at the Bank and the Council, I liked this time because it gave me the opportunity to do those jobs that I always planned doing, but never seemed to get round to doing because of the phones ringing, or customers getting in the way!

It's also great thinking time, and time to plan next year. 2010 doesn't know what's going to hit it!

Wishing everyone a fantastic 2010. Happy New Year!

Simon

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I like to consider the 'dead space' as you refer to it, as a time to reflect upon what I have done and where I would like to be in the next year. So, I can most certainly relate to it being a time to recover before it starts all over again.
Wishing you much success in your ongoing writing endeavours for 2010.
Happy writing and take good care.
Warm wishes, your way, Gary x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Martin


I certainly will keep bashing away but I intend to make even more of an effort on 2010 to learn from my mistakes and learn from the writers who are published so that I can incorporate their success into my own writing. I've got to really take a good hard look at my short stories and why they failed to make it. I'll do this by rereading the many Short stories I've accumulated from the women's mags and seeing if I can up the standard of mine.

Who knows what will happen! But I'm going to try. If you don't try, you'll never know I gusee.
Happy 2010 to you Martin

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Simon.

Yup, I don't think 2010 is quite ready for the onslaught! Not sue if I am really, either, but I intend to get there eventually!

I like to plan at this time too - I'm bubbling over with enthusiasm at the moment as I have so many ideas and there are so many possibilities open to me and other writers. I'm wondering who in Wrekin Writers or Blog Land will make their next breakthrough -big or small. It's a very exciting time.

Happy New Year!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary

It's so important to reflect on things that have happened in the past. I think it really helps us to move on - not just as writers or bloggers but as people too.

I know in my case I need to learn to let go of a lot of stuff and think of the present and the future one day at a time. I need to stop hanging on to things and learn to accept that what I have no control over. There's that wonderful prayer about learning to accept the things you can't change and the things you can and having the wisdom to know the difference: that's going to be my mantra this year I think.

Happy New Year!

Julie xx

Abi said...

Good luck with the short stories Julie, I haven't been able to leave the writing alone this holiday, probably because I got a new computer but I've planned a lot for next year e.g. queries to pitch and magazines to study. It's always good to reflect over what you've done and how you can improve in the future.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Abi! And good luck with your pitches and articles too. It's really frustrating though, when your itching to go and you realise that most people (editors) are still on hols!

I'm making a list of mags I want to pitch to in the New Year so when the next issues are out I can buy and peruse them. There's always room for improvement.

Best of luck

Julie xx

Jaye said...

Hi Julie,

Just wanted to wish you a happy (and busy!) new year, good luck with all your plans and thank you for the encouragement :-)

Julie P said...

Thanks, Jaye

And I hope you keep us updated with the 'news' in 2010 too! I'm glad it's going to be a busy year and I hope we all manage to achieve some, if not all, of our writing goals during 2010.

Julie xx