Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 14 December 2009

I just had to do it


I just had to post a photo of my daughter post Nativity play at school last week. She was a shepherd(ess.) There were three shepherds (as we know!) and they had to say, "We have come to see the special baby." Bless them. It was a wonderful play and I had a front row seat. Normally I try to hide at the back at functions such as these because, as I've said before, I do get a bit over emotional when it comes to kids and singing etc! But I wanted to get a good view of my daughter and she could see me and she was a star, giving me cute little smiles and waves.

At the end we were allowed on stage to take more photos. Yes, that's right, you did hear me right, we were allowed to take photos and videos, an unusual privilege these days. But my daughter's school are sensible and know we are just parents wanting to record our children's shining moments! I was quite overwhelmed when my daughter threw her arms around me and said, "I love you Mummy," and planted a big kiss on my cheek. Then another little girl came over and asked my daughter's permission to hug me too!! She didn't ask my permission you'll note!! Then another girl came and we had a group hug on the stage! That's when I almost lost my composure and had to fight the urge to blub!!

I felt like the official professional photographer as my daughters pals asked me to take snaps of them! David Bailey's got nothing on me! It was a wonderful day. On Friday I'm going to the Christmas Carol service at the school (why oh why did I say I'd go, because I know I'm going to cry!) But my daughter wants me to go and I'm going with a fellow parent/Governor so we can blub at the back together!

I also can't hear anything at the moment. I have a slight cold but my ears are bunged up with wax. So I haven't been able to do reading support at the school today. My balance isn't great when my ears are like this but there's no point in having the children read to me if I can't hear them! So I intend to use my temporary enforced silence to wrote some more of the NaNo novel today.

Hope you're having fun whatever you're doing and that your writing goals have gone well for 2009 - and if not, there's always 2010 to have another bash at it.

Julie xx

15 comments:

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Awwww Julie. Special, special memories and Isobel looks wonderful.

Sorry to hear about your cold and bunged up ears but you enjoy your enforced silent world and have a wonderful day

xx

Teresa Ashby said...

Oh Julie, I've welled up reading your blog. How lovely and your little shepherd looks so sweet bless her.

So nice to hear you were allowed to take photos.

Now off to find a tissue to mop up my tears!

Abi said...

Lovely picture of your daughter. Mine was at a guest at her play and my son was Rudolph (which he wasn't very happy about!). I'll be glad when its the holidays as they are so tired after all these shows!

I hope you are feeling better. I had a middle ear infection recently which left me unable to do any writing for a few days.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue,

They are special memories indeed. She was very pleased with her chocolate Santa - it didn't last long believe me! Eaten in ten seconds flat - thank you for giving it to her. She ate the one I brought home from the Xmas lunch too!

My colds not too bad but it's the bunged up ears that are so frustrating. My husband commented that it was like an old person's home in our lounge because I had the TV up so loud this am!! I am going for a walk up to the local shop in a bit for some fresh air.

Just done my NaNo novel quota for the day.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Teresa.

I know! I was welling up when I was writing it. My daughter is used to my crying at soppy things and finds it all very amusing. She can't understand why Mummy is crying when she is happy!!

I think the rule is at my daughter's school that if none of the parents object we can take photos and videos, which I think is fair enough.

Here, have a Kleenex and think of me at around 10-11 am this Friday when I'm blubbing my way through the Carol service!!

When I was in the Church choir and the school choir it never used to affect me - maybe I should just stand at the back, pretend I'm in the choir again and belt out the carols! Mind you - it's probably not a good idea in respect to my blocked ears as I'll be very out of tune!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Abi

They had a boy dressed up as Rudolph in my daughter's play too - he looked very cute - mind you, I did mistake him for Scooby Doo initally!

My daughter has a busy week this week - there's the school's Xmas fayre after school this afternoon, then tomorrow it's the class disco/party. She'll be tired but happy and excited I guess. I'm just happy and knackered!

My hisband has checked my ears (we have one of those scopy things with the light from my nursing days - I'm very technical - not!) and he assures me I'm just full of wax so it's in with the warm oil. I'm loathe to get them syringed but I may have to as a last resort. I hate ear infections though so you have my sympathy - it's the dizzyness that goes with them that's the killer.

Take care

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
What a heart warming little story you have posted. These treasured, loving moments are indeed cause for celebration. Thanks for sharing this.
I wish you all the very best in your ongoing writing quests. Personally, my writing has gone very well this year. I am most pleased with the interaction that we share.
Kind wishes, Gary x

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary

I'm glad your writing has gone well and I know you enjoy blogging too - your enthusiasm and insight comes out in your posting as well as your wonderful sense of humour!

Thank you for your kindness and I think 2010 is going to be great year.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Ah, lovely post, Julie! My girls' days in school plays etc, are long past but how well I remember that tearful feeling, especially when those little voices are all singing together ... (where's my hanky??). I hope I'll be able to go and see Noah in a few years' time when HE starts to be a shepherd or an angel or whatever! Then I'll go through it all again. x

Julie P said...

It will be a long time before I get to go and see my grandchildren in their school Xmas plays! I'd forgotten about that though. I thought I'd get away with just having to watch Isobel's!

I'm still trying to gear myself up for the school's Christmas Carol service on Friday!

Of course, it will be little Noah'a first Christmas, awwhh! I bet he'll have a lovely time as will you and your family.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It will be a long time before I get to go and see my grandchildren in their school Xmas plays! I'd forgotten about that though. I thought I'd get away with just having to watch Isobel's!

I'm still trying to gear myself up for the school's Christmas Carol service on Friday!

Of course, it will be little Noah'a first Christmas, awwhh! I bet he'll have a lovely time as will you and your family.

Julie xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Very cute. I'm so glad they let you take photos.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne!

Mum in a Muddle said...

Glad to hear someone else blubs at children's carol concerts and the like. I don't know why but carols always make me cry - and when my kids sing them it's even worse... My son had his school play today - I managed not to blub but the old eyes did fill up a bit! What are we like?

Julie P said...

I've always been the same since I left school,Abi! It's so embarrassing though isn't it! I don't sem to notice anyone crying - it's usually just me.

I shall have to try and bolster myself up for tomorrow!

Julie xx