Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 2 December 2009

It's Not What You Can't do ......

I read something today but I can't remember where I read it. It said something along the lines of, "Don't worry about what you can't do. It's what you can do that matters." I thought this was a great attitude to take for writing and for life in general. As writers we are used to getting rejections and having editors, publishers and agents saying, "No." And some people in our lives think of our writing as just a little 'hobby' that will never amount to much. If we take these people's negative comments and attitudes to heart, quite often we can become isolated and blinkered in our thoughts as the negativity rubs off on us and we start to believe that we can't and will never be successful with our writing.

But if we forget about what we can't do and focus on what we can do instead, and work hard on that we can do, I think life would be a lot easier! I know we all moan and groan, or scream and shout when we get rejections, or our article proposals are ignored, or we hear nothing at all about the stuff we've sent out there. Writing can be a frustrating occupation, but we write because we want to and for some of us it's a compulsion that we can't ignore. We carry on despite the rejections and uncertainty - it's part of the job.

So stop focusing on the pieces of work you've had rejected - it was just a near miss and presents us with a further opportunity to re market it next year. I know that at certain times of the year my enthusiasm for writing has been knocked sideways by rejection. I've looked at the magazines I have tried to get my short stories published in and seen stories by other authors who get their stories in time and time again and I've initially been disheartened, shrieking, "When will it be my turn?!" But after a while, one realises that crying and getting angry or despondent about it actually gets you absolutely nowhere. The only way I'm going to get my stories in these magazines is to study the market - read the stories that are in there and learn from them. These authors have worked hard to get their stories in there and it didn't happen overnight. But it can be done, as they have proved. I can and so can you. So come on! Let's do it!

You can, not you can't.

Julie xx

4 comments:

Fee said...

You are so right Julie about concentrating on what we can do and achieve.

If you don't put effort into something you get nothing out of it.

It is battling through that matters most and eventually you will succeed.

I received my Writing Magazine yesterday and that has spurred me on to do more.

Best wishes

Fee

Olivia Ryan said...

All good positive thoughts, Julie. I think we all get 'down' about the rejections from time to time - we wouldn't be human if we didn't. But the difference between a writer and an ex-writer is simply that writers shake off the rejections and keep going! As you have done. x

Julie P said...

I love nothing more than sitting down with a mug of milky coffee and perusing the writing magazines when they come through my dor - they are so inspiring aren't they, Fee.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

That's very true, Olivia. We have to keep a forward momentum if we want to be successful writers, but we also need to be realistic and work hard and accept that it's going to take some time.

I was showing my husband yours and Helen M Hunt's articles in the magazines earlier. He was very impressed as was I.

Julie xx