Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 12 December 2009

Merry Wrekin Writer Christmas!




We had a wonderful Wrekin Writer meeting this morning and did lots of fun activities. Some people read out Christmas related work they'd either written themselves or found published elsewhere. Then we had to write down one thing we would ask for as a Christmas present and we had a competition to see if we could guess who it was that had requested each present. It was so much fun and, surprisingly, I guessed the most right, scoring 10/20! I must have good observation skills or perhaps I'm just good at guessing people's inner most desires?!

We also read out our Chairman's Challenges for this month which was about the line." It was the 24th of December." It always amazes me how much diversity there is within the group from one prompt. It was lovely to listen to the humorous poems and more poignant prose - we really are a talented bunch and I am proud to be a part of the group. It was great to see so many of the members there too. As we only meet once a month, we don't always get every member there and even though there were a few missing today, it was a large group!

We also read out the three winning Chairman's Challenges from last month, of which I came third with 'Spitting Feathers.' Go to Sue's blog to read it (when she puts the winning entries onto it!)
I'm pleased it got placed as I haven't had a placing for a long time - mind you, I didn't do it for a couple of months, but I made up for it by writing two this month. It's excellent writing practice and a bit of fun that none of us take very seriously!

We then had our Christmas meal at The Buckatree Hall Hotel and it was wonderful. We had such fun and a real relaxing lunch in a very posh restaurant based in the hotel. The food was wonderful and as I'm a veggie I had the Oyster mushroom bread with veggie gravy and roast potatoes, broccoli and carrots and some Christmas pudding for dessert.

I find the meetings inspiring and I've filled up my energy tanks to see me through with my writing until the New Year and the next meeting. I think 2009 has been wonderfully successful for the group and I know that 2010 will be even better.

Julie xx

6 comments:

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Glad you all had a wonderful time at your 'Wrekin Writer's' meeting.
Your 'Chairman's challenge' regarding the 24th of December.
"It was the 24th of December, also known as Boxing Day Eve, Eve...:-)
Nice to note that you find those meetings inspiring and have rejuvenated your writing ideas for the rest of this year. All the best in your writing plans for 2010.
Kind wishes, your way, Gary x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary.

Yes, a good time was had by all! Christmas Eve shall forever be known as Boxing Day Eve, Eve!!!

It's amazing how just being in a roon full of other writers, listening to all their successes, can ignite your own writing fire!

Best wishes for 2010

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

The picture of you with the christmas tree growing out of your head looks great!

Looks like Barbara did the group proud! Has she made a rod for her own back?

Glad everyone had fun.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Simon! I think Christmas tree bouffants are going to be all the rage next Christmas! I'm such a trend setter! You mised a great do, m'dear. It was a lot of fun. And if I were Barbara I'd be running for the hills - she did far too good a job of organising it!

Ta for the Christmas card by the way

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Glad you had such a lovely time, Julie. I don't know about you, but since leaving the day job, the lead-up to Christmas seems a tad quiet, so I really appreciate being invited back to the hospital party and on nights out with my ex-colleagues. And any other celebration is a bonus! I love the idea of the game where you had to guess each other's wishes. I'd like to try that with my friends and family, except we all know each other's writing! x

Julie P said...

I still find the run up to Christmas still busy, but then I've replaced 'work' with school activities and I'm still writing like the clappers! Although I'm not doing any after the 18th Dec when my daughter breaks up from school for the Xmas hols, but I'll have her to entertain.

I never used to go to the work Christmas do as I never felt the urge to go - plus they were invariably on the evenings my husband was working nights. I hate all the flaffing and preening and having to get 'glammed up' for these work parties so I stayed at home, prefering to watch TV and have a relaxing time! But I enjoyed the Wrekin Writer one as it was at lunch time and a nice and calm affair,

Julie xx