Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 13 December 2009

NaNoWriMo continued ........

As you can see from my NaNo word counter I've decided to bite the bullet and keep writing my NaNo novel 'Sawdust' and see it through to the bitter end! Obviously I can't possibly keep up to the 1666 daily word target - I want to have some sort of life - and I want to be writing my articles and getting back to my short story writing too. But I will be aiming to do 1000 words a day Monday to Friday on it. My new focus is the article I'm writing for Writers' Forum on my NaNo experience - so that's my motivation and deadline now that NaNo is officially over. I do want to get the novel's first draft written as fast as I can so that I can say I've completed the novel in the article!

Then I intend to leave it for a month and get on with editing it after that. Will it be publishable on the first draft? Absolutely not - but can I edit it and polish it, rewrite bits of it, delete some of it and add other sections, make it better - I think so. Will it ever be publishable after I've messed around with it a lot? Who knows! But that can be my challenge for 2010.


Julie xx

8 comments:

Simon Whaley said...

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!

The short story writing will help he novel writing. And anyway, when you're a famous novelist, everyone will want to buy your short stories :-)

Julie P said...

Hee hee!

I like it! '"When you're a famous novelist,"' I think it will be a long time before that happens - if ever! Mind you, stranger things have happened. But if I finish the novel - who knows?

I think the novel group may just have a new recruit next year - I hope they know what they're letting themselves in for!

Julie xx

Sue Horder-Mason said...

For once I agree with him up there. Go for it and I shall join you. I enjoyed working alongside you during November so Nanobabe you're partner is back in town.

xx

Julie P said...

I thought you were talking about God or other religious deity for a minute until I realised it was only Simon!! I think I need to go and lie down because you've agreed with him. Don't several planets have to be in alignment before that happens? It's a rarity! Oh well it is Xmas I suppose ;0)]]Yup, the NaNoBabes are back in town and will be writing at a bookstore near you soon!!

Julie xx

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Me thinks you're being cheeky Madam. LOL.

We do agree sometimes - honestly :-)

Julie P said...

It's true, Sue,

I do have a cheeky streak! But I was only joking (really!) He does talk a lot of sense as do you - amd I isten intently to any good advice you both give - you know what you're talking about and other writers should listen.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Good for you! A challenge is what we all need for 2010, I think, to get us motivated. Mine is to start the next novel on 1st January. Well, OK, as soon after as I sober up!! x

Julie P said...

Yes, Olivia, best wait until you've sobered up before starting the novel!

Julie xx