Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 3 December 2009

Positively Palpitating!

It's certainly been a runaway train day today and I've been busy with writing related activities for most of the day which is wonderful and I've had such a good time. If you go over to Carole Anne Carr's blog you will see a lovely festive photograph of Carole and myself as I was interviewing her, taken by her her lovely husband Roy.

I interviewed Carole for an article I'm writing of which the proposal has been accepted today(wooh hooh!) I really want to give Carole some great publicity as her books are wonderful. I read her book First Wolf back in the Summer and it was marvellous and I have just read the book she kindly gave me for my daughter Little Boy Good For Nothing and the Shongololo. It's illustrated with brilliant drawings and paintings by school children and it's such a vibrant and well written book for 5-7 year old children. My daughter made me read the whole thing. And I have to say, Carole, she was really absorbed in it, doing the actions of the monkey, crocodiles and lion and she kept wanting to read on and on, as did I! What a fantastic book and you should be very proud of it.

The interview went very well and my husband came with me and Carole provided a delicious lunch for us, so thank you Carole. It was an enjoyable morning and I feel priviledged to have learned so much about you personally and your life as a teacher and all the things you've done in your life. Carole also lent me some writing books which I am looking forward to reading and gathering valuable writing advice in there. Carole, you put the rest of us to shame with your determination and stamina! Carole is a truly inspiring lady and has kick started my enthusiasm and drive to carry on with my writing.

It was interesting listening to our husbands (You've heard about Golf and football widows, well they are Writing widowers) chat about what it's like to be the other half of a writer! And they both want to form their own group - the writing chauffeurs - and they want the hats and name badges to go with it!

Then I had the not so pleasant experience of the first half of a child protection course that I'm doing at the school as part of my duties as a governor and volunteer within the school. The neglect and abuse of children saddens and sickens me and it was difficult to hear the case studies. But I think it's important it is discussed so that we are more aware of the potential for abuse/neglect and can take steps to stop it.

Tonight I had a Julie Phillips first by doing my first international phone interview. I kid you not. I had a lovely chat with one of the very helpful and nice NaNo team over in America for the article I'm writing for WF. It was a great experience and she was so easy going and a joy to talk with. So I'm gaining new experiences all the time and I'm so glad I did it. I did have a bit of trouble working out the time zone difference but I think I got it right as she was pleased to talk with me. It was 630pm GMT but 1130 am Pacific time. It felt strange knowing it was early evening here yet I was talking to someone on the other side of the world and it was only the morning there! It's all this modern technology! I'm not used to it! I come from the country originally and it takes me a while to get my head round things sometimes as in, 'Shropshire born, Shropshire bred. Strong in the arm but thick in the head!'

So I'm tired this evening but my writing pulse is postively palpitating and I can't wait to get stuck into writing the articles and doing some research on the women's mags.

Happy writing.

PS I know the nights have well and truly drawn in and it's cold, dark and miserable weather out there. Christmas is coming and for some people that's a miserable time too, (I know I've had wonderful times and not so good times over Christmasses past) and they will try and bring everyone else down with them. But we can rise above this and overcome our difficulties. So let's shine our lights in the darkness for others who are not feeling so positive about their writing at the moment so that they can follow us and keep their writing dreams alive, no matter what's going on in our lives, writing is something we can all come back to for comfort and help to see us through the difficult times.

What matters is here and now, not what has gone on in the past. If we choose to live in the past and constantly go back to the bleak times then we do ourselves no favours. We need to move forward and help each other along the way, and I believe that writing can help us do that. So here's to our present and our future writing potential.

Julie xx

10 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Very true, Julie, about the way to live I mean, thanks so much for your support, I shall press on until Candle Dark is finished..and well done with the great progress you are achieving..hugs xx

Lynne Hackles said...

Thanks for a positive and uplifting post, Julie. Your enthusiasm leapt from the screen.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I know you'll get Candle Dark finished soon and be on to your next project. Your output and hard work you put into your books is truly amazing and inspiring.

I started to read the Swain book last night and was hooked!I'm going to read somemore over the weekend so thanks for lending it to me.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Lynne.

I'd just had such a fantastic day that I wanted to spread the happiness - if you know what I mean!

Heaven knows we have enough rejection and darkness in our writing lives and lives in general without dwelling and moaning on about it so some sunshine is definitely welcome.

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I quite agree, Julie. Positivity is like a smile - use it and you will be rewarded with it in return. One of the books I've read (I can't remember if it was a Paul McKenna, or Noel Edmonds one) says that negative people should be ditched. Surround yourself with positivity and you yourself will be positive too. It's the infection that everyone wants (as opposed to Swine Flu!)

Julie P said...

Don't even think about Swine Flu, Simon! I think some people are so negative about their lives that they want to poison everyone else with their miserableness because they can't cope with happiness. They choose to cocoon themselves and use their problems as an excuse not to live. They don't want help because by appearing helpless and hard done by they can play the 'victim' and get sympathy - it's easier for them to stay where they are and not move forward. Sad, but true in so many cases.

I'm afraid I don't do negativity and avoid people who are. I know they have their problems but for my own sanity I have to walk away. You can't help these people anyway - and you end up sinking down to their level which is no good for anyone.

There's always an alternative and I'd choose positivity over negativity every time. Bad things happen in our lives - so what - we have no control over that but we do have a choice as to how we deal with it. But I don't need to tell you that. So I'm with you and Paul McKenna/Noel Edmunds - ditch the negative people! If the have a negative attitude, instead of moaning about their problems they should take steps to get the help they need to move on with their lives.

Julie xx

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Inane comment but positivity rules OK without you can't survive.
xx

Julie P said...

True Sue. Got to keep going and adapting no matter what comes our way - what other choice do we have?!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Lovely post, Julie. It's so nice to hear you saying how much you're enjoying your writing - like you, I do get tired sometimes of hearing negative talk from people.
I know sometimes it can't be helped, when we're going through bad experiences in life, but surely when things are NOT going badly we should count our blessings. I always like telling people that my motto for life is the same as my blood group:
B Positive!

Julie P said...

It can get very wearing when there are negative people around and with the best will in the world I think you have to just distance yourself from them sometimes, Olivia. Otherwise they end up bringing you down too.

I've had my moments and my doubts/problems in life the same as everyone else but I try to be a spositive as I can and help people out of their doldrums if I can because I know there is no worse place to be than caught in a dead calm see with no head wind to raise your sails and get you moving again.

I love B positive! I'm O pos I think. If more people would stop and think about what they do have and what they can do instead of what they lack and think they can't do they'd get on a whole lot better in life.

I get really annoyed at people who pretend to have problems or make out they are worse off than they are simply to gain sympathy votes (I saw enough of that at work!) as that's not what life is about really.

But hey ho! We are who we are and where we are eh?!

Julie xx