Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 30 December 2009

Technologically challenged!

I went on Twitter again today. I remembered joining up some time ago and was ashamed to see that I'd only tweeted once since I joined three months ago!! I also went on Facebook as I hadn't been on there for longer than I can remember. I know that tweeting and this social networking shenanigans are important for writers but I just forget to go on them! I'm terrible. I'm sure I must have accounts on other networks too that I've just forgotten about and haven't a hope in hell of remembering any passwords or user names let alone the name of the site! It was Carole Anne Carr who got me thinking about all of this as she'd posted recently that she'd cut dowm on the amount of sites she was a member of and it's a good idea.

I must make an effort to tweet and facebook more often - but with face book, I only stopped using it for a while as it was taking over my writing time - the peril of social networking: great for keeping updated and possibly networking with other writers and plugging your own writing, but terrible for the writing itself!

My New Year's resolution is to use the sites in moderation and to write more each day by turning off the TV and putting the 'how to' books away for a while, unless I want to look something up specific. I'm also going to strive to move my 'office' upstairs away from distractions like Jeremy Kyle's show and This morning and disable my email/Internet while I'm working as that's a BIG, big distraction. I'll also be following Lynne Hackle's advice re cleansing rituals as I feel I need to lighten my working atmosphere.

I'm looking forward to the new year and feel raring to get back to the writing. I'm feeling a bit guilty as I haven't done much over the past few weeks. I was getting scared that I'd lost the urge and the ability to write over the festive season, but I am relieved to say that this is not the case. Let's hope 2010 is a great year for writers everywhere!

On a technical note: Is it me or Twitter that is having a dim moment? I can't seem to add any tweets? Any ideas? Plus I want to put the posts I did about the women's mags in my side bar so they are there permanently but I can't!!


Julie xx

4 comments:

Antonia said...

I do Tweet, but have resisted Facebook thus far. I sometimes forget about Tweeting, then let out a mad garbled tirade. :-)

Happy New Year!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Twitter has a bar at the top of the page, Julie, Home, Profile, and one or the other brings up and empty oblong that can you can write in. If you use this seriously, you need to download Tweetdeck and see what is going on once people start following you.
As far as the sidebar is concerned, type what you want to do in Google and some lovely geek always comes up with the know how...hugs...xx

Julie P said...

It's so easy to forget isn't it, Antonia! And that's the trouble with twitter - things may get said in the heat of the moment and later regretted!!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I wrote in the box but couldn't get it to go on the page, if you know what I mean?! I pressed 'update' but it wouldn't! It must be me - it's taken a disliking to me. Will try again later!

Julie xx