Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 17 December 2009

Well Done Phyllis


I was reading the local paper a minute ago and happened upon an article that caught my eye. The article was about one of our Wrekin Writer members who, at the age of 78, has had her first non-fiction book - Gentlemen Of The River. The Last Coracle Men of the Severn Gorge - published and the article said that her book was in the top ten best sellers at the local Waterstones book shop. Not only that, it was the ONLY local book to have made it into the top ten. The book is flying off the shelves!! I know it's an excellent book because I bought one and Phyllis signed it for me and my husband at the Wrekin Writer meeting last Saturday.

I've known Phyllis and her wonderful daughter and fellow writer Diane Perry since I became a member of Wrekin Writers 17 months ago and I often bump into Phyllis in the town center when we are doing our shopping. They are both such lovely women and so supportive of each other and other members of the group that I am so proud of Phyllis and so pleased that she is having such a great success. She truly deserves it and at the age of 78 too! I only hope that I'm still writing when I reach her age. She puts the rest of us to shame, she really does.

I had the pleasure of doing an interview by e-mail with her and chatting to her last Saturday about her book, her writing and her life for a couple of articles I'm doing - she's amazing! So well done Phyllis! And may your next book be as successful and the ones after that - there really is no stopping her.

She's got a book signing this Saturday 19th December at WH Smith in Wellington, nr Telford 11am-2pm and I shall be going so I hope a few more of us in the locality will go too.

If you want to buy a copy of Phyllis's book you can get it on Amazon. It's published by Stenlake Publishing Ltd and is priced £7.99. ISBN 9781840334739

Julie xx

10 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

Looks like a very interesting book. Congratulaions to Phyllis.

XX

Carole Anne Carr said...

It is a marvellous achievement, isn't it. I've looked at the cover of the book and just had to comment. When I was teaching in Shifnal, the chap I worked with took me and a group of children to visit the coracle maker and he gave my teacher friend a collection of his papers - think they were coracle plans, stories about his poacher father...that sort of thing. Anyway, my friend lost the papers, never returned them! I spent the next years when working on the banks of the Severn next to the bridge trying to keep out of the coracle maker's way, just in case he pushed me in the river!! Hugs...

Julie P said...

Oh dear, Carole! I can just imagine the coracle maker chasing you along the river bank with his paddle!! What a shame,though, that your friend lost all that stuff.

I'm glad Phyllis's book is doing so well.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne,

I will pass on yor comments when I see her at the book signing tomorrow.

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Julie
Thank you so much for telling us about this. Neither of us were aware that it was even in the newspaper. I am so incredibly proud of her.
Cheers
Di
x

Julie P said...

Hi, Di!

I've kept the cutting about your mum's book success, so will bring it to the next meeting. She's done exceptionally well and I hope she's proud of herself too.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Isn't it nice when one of your writing friends has such a lovely success. It makes you feel proud to know them doesn't it! Congrats to Phyllis on her achievement. x

Julie P said...

It is, Olivia, and she's a wonderful lady. I went to her book signing this morning and it was fab! So inspiring.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It is, Olivia, and she's a wonderful lady. I went to her book signing this morning and it was fab! So inspiring.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It is, Olivia, and she's a wonderful lady. I went to her book signing this morning and it was fab! So inspiring.

Julie xx