Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Coincidence or fate?

I had a brilliant interview this afternoon for one of my articles. The time just flew and it was so interesting. I love it when it all gels together so well like that. It makes the whole process so much more enjoyable and productive. But there was a strange moment when the person I was interviewing said she'd asked someone else to come along, one of their volunteers, so I could get some quotes and a feel for how it is at the coal face. She said his name and I said that the name sounded familiar - had he been a teacher? Turns out he was only my old English teacher from secondary school! Small world eh? What's even more crazy about it is that the manager was going to get a reader from the local area but decided on one from a different town. Out of 36 schools that use the service, each with three or so readers, she chose him - we couldn't believe it! It was so nice to see him again and I think he was pleased that his teaching had stood me in good stead!

You never know where your writing may take you. I am on a high now despite having a cold and raring to go with the writing.

Julie xx

6 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Brilliant, Julie, and a wonderful coincidence! Happy writing...Carole xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole

I still haven't got over the shock!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I Hope he gave you a Grade A at the end of it! Or is he waiting until he reads your article?

Simon

Julie P said...

I'm just glad that I was a good girl at school and didn't play up in any of his lessons - can you imagine that?! How embarrassing.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

How funny, Julie - but isn't it nice to catch up with a teacher, when you're grown up and can talk to them adult-to-adult! I bet he was chuffed to see you are now a writer. Glad you are on such a high now. xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia - it was so strange! But it was also nice to see him. I don't think he remembered me really as it was such a long time ago and although he hadn't changed much, I must have considerably. Plus he would have taught hundreds of students over his teaching career. But we had a good chat about the school and the goings on around that time. The school is currently being rebuilt alongside the existing building, so the school as we knew it will be demolished. It's sad, but definitrly overdue.

To be honest I was a bit embarrassed when I realised it was him - I was a painfully shy and reserved child and some of that still resides within me so I had to fight against the urge to revert to that child who would rarely speak without being spoken to - and here I was interrogating the teacher!!

Julie xx