Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 28 January 2010

Fame at last!

I walked into work at lunchtime and was blinded by a flash as the manager took my photo for their 'hall of fame' It's going to go on their staff mugshot wall in the foyer of the nursery - bearing in mind I'd just walked from my house and up a steep hill in a biting wind and I've had a cold so my nose was bright red (Rudolph ain't got nothing on me). I hope none of the children see it; it might frighten the poor little dears - could be a good disciplinary tool though - behave yourself or I'll make you look at the dinner lady's photo!!

 I have also been recognised! I have been outed.  One of the nursery managers said she'd seen my photo in a magazine somewhere recently and wanted to know why! I then explained about my 'other life' as a writer and they most interested. They wanted to know all the details which was nice. I'm going to take a couple of my published pieces in to show them tomorrow. That's the trouble when you have your photo published alongside your work - you get noticed! I thought no one had noticed and I'd got away with it - but no! I will have to be very careful what I write from now on. If I write any romance or erotic fiction, anything risque I'll have to have a pseudoname!

Julie xx

10 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Lovely to hear about you in the hall of fame, Julie. :0)
I am building a new website, with the help of my Grandson of course, and I shall link it with my blog.
As I am removing the Cake and Custard title from the website, it is going to be like other author websites with just the name, and I shall have to change the name of the blog for the link.
I shall transfer the team members when I've worked how to do it! Will let you know the new URL as soon as I'm sure I won't lose everything! Wish me luck! xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

p.s. I've found I can change the title if I don't change the URL. So all should be well and stay the same. Eventually I shall have to change the URL but that can wait for sometime to come..Hugs..xx

Teresa Ashby said...

That's brilliant, Julie. You should be proud to be recognised xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole

I hope the new website goes well. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it all - it's a good job your grandson does!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Teresa!

I hope I can get more stuff published now - it's been a boost to my confidence.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

I agree with Teresa, Julie - it's exciting to be recognised! It doesn't come easy (to most of us) to 'show off' our writing, but I think you do really have to take advantage of people's genuine interest - they are always pleased to hear about your success, and it will help to build your reputation. Great stuff! Hope you're enjoying the work, too. xx

Fee said...

Well Done Julie.

It is a shame the person who took the photograph didn't give you notice so that you could have been more prepared for your picture to be taken. You could always as for another one to be taken at a time convenient to you in a comfortable situation for you. At least you have made me smile with the image.

My legal mind has kicked in as well over the photograph being taken and I have lots of questions in my head. There are always so many scenarios that have to be looked at and I suppose this is where crime writers get their ideas from.

If you had been a child they would have given you notice that your photograph was being taken at a certain time and place but because you are an adult it appears that they have "assumed" it was ok with you.

Adults have rights too.

That has stirred some ideas up for me.

I am so glad your colleagues are pleased and encouraging you with your writing.

Best wishes

Fee

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi Julie

Do look for your name on my blog...xx

Julie P said...

It was fine, Fee!

I didn't mind really - all of the staff have their picture on the wall - it's for the parent's benefit really. I saw the photo on the camera display and it didn't look too bad - I'm just not keen on having my photo taken full stop!

Which reminds me - I must get a new photo for my Association of Freelance Writers membership card!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I'll have a look, Carole!

Julie xx