Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Snowy But Successful Day

Well I think Telford has now got a lot more snow than the met office bargained for! And it's still coming down. I hope everyone stays warm and safe. It's not as bad here as in other parts of the UK, but it's bad enough. I still managed to get up and down to the school today with no problems - it's affecting the car drivers more, slipping and sliding as they try and fail to negotiate corners and hills.

I had some good news in that the chap responsible for Governor training here emailed me to congratulate me for getting the 'winning letter' in the latest issue of the Governor's magazine. I had no idea it was in, let alone was the winning letter as my copy hasn't come yet. I win £50 in Amazon book vouchers! So that was a nice surprise and he has asked if I would like to send in some articles for their local Governor magazine -I, of course, said yes! Just goes to show, editors/other people might see your letters and articles and contact you to contribute to their magazine too. Also in the dinner hall at school one of the Teaching Assistants came up to me and asked my name and she said, 'Oh, you're Julie Phillips are you? I read your letters in the Shropshire Star.' Ooo-er! I wonder which ones she read! I don't write letters to the Shropshire Star now, which is probably just as well!!

Take care everyone and happy writing

Julie xx

16 comments:

Diane Perry said...

Hi Julie, congratualtions on winning your amazon vouchers, how wonderful, hope you enjoy spending them and it just shows how many opportunities there are to 'gain' from our writing. Well done.

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Ah the snow that was going to melt. 'The big thaw'. Well, judging by the way it was in Stoke today; I really am beginning to wonder about how much more winter wonderland we will have:)
It has been very treacherous out there. I had to go on a bus, yet again. I've got to get a car.
Well done on having the 'winning letter'.
Stay warm, be careful out there.
With kindness and respect, Gary x

David said...

Well done Julie. That's great news! Looks like 2010 is getting off to a good start for you - despite the snow. Now you're getting approached for your articles rather than submitting them. Way to go!

David

Elizabeth McKay said...

Well done Julie. That's a good start to the new year. £50 of Amazon vouchers - what a treat. You'll have so much fun spending them. If you need any help just let me know. It's trying to snow here (Ayrshire) at the moment, but hopefully it won't come to anything. I'm never dreaming of a white Christmas ever again.

Suzanne Jones said...

That's really good news. Just shows you never know when an opportunity will arise.

XX

Martin H. said...

Prize-winning letters in a local newspaper can lead to all sorts. Many years ago, I had a letter about foxes published in a local paper. A few days later, I was contacted by a woman in a neighbouring village. She had rescued a fox as a cub and asked me if I would like to see it. I phoned the editor of the paper with the story and he commissioned me to write it up.

You're right Julie. Leave no stone unturned. Congratulations on winning the Amazon vouchers.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Diane

I can't wait to get the vouchers! There are some books I've wanted for ages so I can get them soon. I still can't believe it.

The letter took me about 10 minutes to write and email off so £50 worth of vouchers for ten mins work is excellent!

Always worth submitting letters - but I always study the letters in previous issues of whichever mag/paper I'm aiming at - wordage, tone, subjects etc. I also look at the whole mag/paper and pick a feature in there and comment on that subject or pick up on something that's popular in the news at the time.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It certainly is dicey out there, Gary. Mind you I haven't fallen over yet - I'm dreadful on snow and ice - but my sister got me some snow boots and they're wonderful! I still slip a bit but I'm able to regain my balance better.

I think the snow is supposed to start to thaw soon and we're not due for much more - turning to rain/sleet. Come on the spring!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, David.

I'm looking forward to submitting to new markets, but I wish the snow would go away now!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I don't think anyone will want a white Christmas after this, Elizabeth! I like the winter but I want the spring to come now! I can't wait for my vouchers to come - I have my eye on some books I want!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne,

Yes, you never know where your next writing project will come from - perseverance and flexibility!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I love foxes, Martin, so I would have loved your experience. I went to a wildlife rescue place and it was great - they didn't have any foxes in but had a cute baby squirrel being fed with a syringe!

I'm always on the lookout for writing opportunities.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

£50 worth of vouchers! Well done, what a great prize! x Hope you enjoy spending them - well deserved.

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Well done Julie, definitely a good start to 2010.

You and yours stay warm and safe xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Olivia! Oh I shall enjoy spending them - when they come! I've been sorting through my wish list on Amazon in anticipation!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Sue!

A brilliant start to the year!

I hope you've been able to dig yourself out. Shocking weather in South Shropshire - we got away lightly up here.

Take care and see you soon - must meet up again when weather improves.

Julie xx