Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 26 February 2010

Birthday surprises!

Thankyou to all your birthday wishes!

1. Almost managed to get through school/nursery day without anyone in school cottoning on to the fact that it was my birthday (bonus!) Until some of the kids in my daughter's class kept coming up to me in the dinner hall and giving me hugs, saying "happy birthday Isobel's mum" to me!!Managed to get through that and it was all going so well until the teaching assistant opened the door at the end of the school day to let the kids out and said "Happy birthday" to me which was then chorused by the other mums!

2. The two novels I ordered from Amazon (sorry independent book sellers) and were scheduled to be delivered between the 1st-4th March came!! I got The Time Traveller's Wife and The Lovely Bones. Looking forward to curling up in bed and reading a bit of one of them tonight.

3. My sister came with her brood and bought me a lovely birthday cake she'd made. It was (notice the past tense here!) a delicious plain sponge with white icing, a few sprinkles and several hand made icing butterflies (she's doing a sugar craft course at the moment.) Yum! I haven't eaten it all - my family helped me out!

4. My daughter woke me up by splatting a present and some cards in my face and singing Happy Birthday to You in the most sweetest, angelic voice I've ever heard - she brought a tear to my eye.

5. On the way home from school we were talking about ears for some reason, and I asked her how old she thought my ears were (?!) She said 158! Out of the mouths of babes eh? I didn't ask her how old she thought the rest of me was.

6. The kids at school were getting really excited about reading with me today and one cheered when I called her name out! Much to the surprise of the teacher and me! I wonder if she was doing a lesson in a subject the child didn't like very much and the child was relieved to have some time out of class? Or am I being too sceptical?!

7. I got lots of cards through the post plus one e-mail one which was stunning! A load of cartoon dogs playing Happy Birthday in an orchestra (thanks Carole  - it really made me laugh).

8. Not done any writing today but will have a spare afternoon tomorrow to do some - so looking forward to that.

9. Having hair done tomorrow and Isobel and Dave are getting my present while I have my hair done.

10. Almost saved up enough, with my birthday money, wages and money I've made from writing for a new computer - my birthday present to me!

Have a happy writing weekend!

Julie xx

12 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

It all sounds a wonderful birthday, Julie, and I'm sure the child was delighted to read to you, I'm sure she found you fun to work with.

Hope you find a really good computer to create lots more stories. Hugs... xxx

womagwriter said...

Happy Birthday, and may you write something you're pleased with over the weekend to cap it all off.

Fee said...

Happy Birthday Julie. Glad you enjoyed your day and your books arrived early.

Best wishes

Feex

Sue Ross said...

I had no idea.
Happy birthday Julie.
No wonder you're such a good listener; ears that old just have to be wise.

Suzanne Jones said...

Sounds like you had a terrific birthday. I've decided to carry my own celebrations on (starting with lime cremes for brekfast) as one day just isn't enough when you get to my age.

XX

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole!

We did have a wonderful reading session and I'm looking forward to going again on Monday!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Womag!

I've had my hair cut, received my birthday present (pendant) and seen my latest article in print today, so when I come back from my sisters this evening I can settle down and write some fiction!

Great post about what a short story is over on your blog btw!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Ta, Fee!

I've already started reading The Lovely Bones and so far it's great.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Tee hee, Sue!!!

Listening (eavesdropping, being nosy!) is an essential skill for writers!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oh I think birthdays should last a whole weekend, Suzanne! Hope you had a good day too.

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Glad you had such a nice birthday, Julie. By the way I've recently read both those books you've just got - Time Traveller's Wife and The Lovely Bones - and loved both of them, so I'm sure you're in for a treat! xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Glad you had such a nice birthday, Julie. By the way I've recently read both those books you've just got - Time Traveller's Wife and The Lovely Bones - and loved both of them, so I'm sure you're in for a treat! xx