Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 20 February 2010

Brilliant Day!

It was the Wrekin Writers' group meeting today  -  the first one since December due to the  recent inclement weather and one we had all been looking forward to! We had a few new members which was great to see as well as the usual faces. We had 29 members in attendance today - a record surely? And the room was vibrant with us all catching up with each other.

It was also the AGM which didn't take as long as we had all dreaded! I am now the secretary for the group, as well as continuing being one of the judges for our annual short stort comp The Doris Gooderson short story comp which is now open for entries. Go to http://www.wrekinwriters.co.uk/  for details if you want to enter - the prizes have increased in value since last year so give it a bash!

We had such fun with Brenda telling the wonderful tale of how her first short story came to be sold and she is so grateful for everyone who helped bringing her and editor together! She will be back on line, hopefully by the end of next week and will thank you all then! We went round the room telling each other of our successes and they were amazing! It is so encouraging and inspiring to hear how members are doing with their writing  -  we really are such a busy and talented group!

I have had my photo taken by Mike White  http://mythological-mike.blogspot.com/ as he had mentioned something about it a while ago  - he loves doing portraits of people so I was happy to oblige - even though I'm not particularly photogenic and never know how to pose!  Mike had his work cut out with me - but he did a grand job! He also snapped Brenda and I together as the publicity officer Darren wants to do something with Brenda's story.

Then we came to the Wrekin Writer of the Year Award. Its purpose is to encourage group members to submit work to publishers/editors and we get points for what we send out. It's great fun and certainly motivates us to get writing and send our stuff out there. Jan, who writes historical fiction and articles was in third place - well done Jan! Our Fee http://fee-mypositivelife.blogspot.com/ our prolific letter writer romped in to second place and I came first!





I've had such a great time since I joined Wrekin Writers and their encouragement and enthusiasm has definitely rubbed off on me! I am so proud to be an active member and when I tried to say thank you to my fellow Wrekin Writers when the winner was announced, Simon Whaley reminded me that it wasn't the Oscars!! But I don't care! Thanks where thanks are due! Himself got an Outstanding Contribution to Wrekin Writers award, which was well deserved as he is an amazing chappy who helps us all so much and he never grumbles - well, not much anyway! So congtrats to Simon too. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have got so far with my writing without his guidance and encouragement.

Chairman Sue has asked us to reflect on our writing achievements through 2009 and also to write down what we want to achieve with our writing in 2010. We are to seal this in an envelope and get it out on 1st Jan 2011 and see which of our goals we managed to reach. I'm going to write mine tonight!

After my stomach bug and tiredness recently, today has been just the tonic I needed! Trouble is, with it being such a big group now it's impossible to get round everyone for a chin wag! We'll need a whole day for the meeting soon.

So well done to everyone and let's make 2010 a even better year for our writing!

Julie xx

28 comments:

womagwriter said...

Julie, sounds like you had a brilliant meeting and WELL DONE on your well-deserved award! You've certainly been getting your name out there with all the article sales. Hope 2010 is as good for you as 2009 was.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Womag. It was a great meeting and I hope all our hard work pays off with our writing projects this year too.

Julie xx

Sue Horder-Mason said...

Julie you well deserved the Wrekin Writer of the Year award after all the hard work you've put in during 2009.

You didn't only just attend meetings, you listened and learned and acted upon the help and advice you were given then you took it and ran with it.

Well done and if I can sound a bit sort of motherish, I'm proud of you and delighted to welcome you aboard both as secretary and as a member of the executive committee.

I have no doubt that during 2010 you will continue with the successes you had last year and I really look forward to working with you.

Loads of love

Sue xx

(And for those you don't know who I am - I'm the Chair of Wrekin Writers)

Mike said...

Available light through the window:1/20th at F7.1. I'm glad you kept still for it! It was a pleasure, and no tidying up to do in Photoshop, afterwards!

You really deserve the award, and continued success. You're an inspiration to us all.

Mike xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue!

It's been such a learning curve for me and a brilliant experience. Wrekin Writers are fantastic and I'm so glad I joined.

I've secreted away my list of writing goals for 2010 and I won't get the list out until Jan 2011 - It will be interesting to see how far I get this year. But I know with the support and encouragement I get from Wrekin Writers I will be kept on my toes and motivated to push my self further with my writing - I'm sure it will be the same for many of us.

I think it's going to be another stonking year for Wrekin Writers!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Mike!

No idea what you mean with the light but it sounds very professional and technical and impressive! I'm glad I managed to stay still too! Thought Brenda's was particularly good. Thanks for selecting us as models!

Thanks for your kind comments re award too - I can't wait to see what we all get up top with our writing this year.

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
I am so pleased for you. I'm sure that the award will be wonderful inspiration to continue on with your writing endeavours.
Congratulations and well done to all concerned.
With respect, Gary x

Simon Whaley said...

Well done Julie on your award (and to Fee and Jan too).And thank you to everyone at Wrekin Writers for mine - it was not necessary - I keep telling you, all I ask for is 10% of any monies earned :-)

So, when are we going to see this photo then?

Simon

Suzanne Jones said...

Brilliant news. Congratulations on your award, Julie.

XX

Diane Perry said...

Congratulations Julie, you really deserve this award. Your face was a picture when you opened your moleskin note book.

Well done
Di
xx

Teresa Ashby said...

Congratulations, Julie and I bet this year is going to be even better for you. Well done, you deserve it x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Gary

Yes it has boosted my confidence and seems to have flicked my creativity swith on to overdrive!! Which is, of course, the purpose of the Wrekin Writer of the Year Award! I haven't been anything of the year before!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Simon! 10%? You told me it was 15%!!! Yes your award was neccessary m'dear - we are all so grateful to you - you should become an agent, you'd be rolling in it! I will put the photo up soon - but I'm a bit squeamish! Will have to ask Mike's permission too. I think the picture would look better if I wasn't in it!! Tee hee. But then I'm not a model and I hate having my photo taken but Mike was marvellous and he claims he didn't have to photoshop it afterwards! Or maybr there was nothing on photoshop strong enough to make me look half human!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Ta, Suzanne! I have a lot to live up to now - can't slack off now I'm Wrekin Writer of the Year! Aggggggh the pressure!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di.
Yes I was wondering why you were so eager for me to open my prize! You know me and my fetishes so well!

I've put it in my drawer awaiting a chance for a grand unwrapping and sniff!

I don't envy you being points collector, though!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Many thanks, Teresa

I have been reading your stories in Women's Weekly Special and Fiction Feast for inspiration and guidance! I am looking forward to sitting down and writing short stories again after my two months sabbatical.

I know with the support I get from everyone in Blog Land and Wrekin Writers my stories will improve and I will get some more published eventually! Might take me another year or six but I'll get there ;0)

Julie xx

Elizabeth McKay said...

Congratulations Julie. I'm not at all surprised you won. Your hard work and enthusiasm shine through in your blog.

Julie P said...

Hi, Elizabeth! And thank you. What a ride it's been and continues to be! I'm so looking forward to buckling down and writing some more short stories! I have four new ones I need to get out of my system and submit, then I intend to go back through the 35 - 40 odd stories I submitted last year to see what can be done with them.

Julie xx

Fee said...

Congratulations Julie you have worked so hard its no wonder you won.

Best wishes and thank you so much for your support too.

Fee

Julie P said...

Thanks, Fee,

We are so lucky to belong to such a wonderful writing group who are all so supportive and dynamic and doing really well with their writing. It will be standing room only in there soon!

Julie xx

Paula Williams said...

Congratulations, Julie. I've got a feeling 2010 is going to be your year.
Paula
xxx

Julie P said...

Oooh the pressure is on now, Paula! No - I'm looking forward to the challenge, even though I have a lot to live up to! I hope that some of the advice I've given and accepted over the past couple of years to do with writing has seeped in and will mean I can work harder to improve my writing and get a few short stories published.

I'm not doing the article writing for a couple of weeks until I've subbed a couple of short stories. I feel like I was close to getting another short story published last time I had a bash at it so it would be a shame if I didn't at least give it another go.

I need a new challenge!

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Well done Julie, on your award, well deserved, you have worked so hard, and I don't agree about you and photographs, you always look lovely...Carole. xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole! I've enjoyed my writing journey up until now and I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for my writing career.

The important thing is to not become complacent but to continue the hard work, pushing on to new challenges and moving the writing forward.

Your drive and determination, Carole, has certainly inspired me - so I will be fighting the good fight this year and seeing what other writing challenges I can find and what I can achieve this year.

Many thanks for your encouragement and guidance.

Julie xx

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for joining me, Julie, lovely to see you there. Now the marathon of sorting out the blog and the new wordpress blog that will eventually linked directly to my new website, or so my grandson tells me, is soon to begin.
Re your comment about doing OU and the books, I no longer have young children, and a job I must go to at set times - one of the bitter sweet blessings that comes with old age....hugs...xx

Julie P said...

Thanks for inviting me, Carole! I hope the new blog and website all run smoothly.

I must admit I'm finding it different having to go outside the home to work albeit only for a few hours a week, and it's amazing how much it eats into my writing time - but I do enjoy my job(s) and spending tome with the children and the wxtra cash is a bonus - means I can buy a new computer sooner than I thought!

Julie xxx

Mum in a Muddle said...

Well done on receiving your award. You really deserve it - I think you're very focussed an determined and I hope that this year will bring you success.

Mum in a Muddle x

Julie P said...

Thanks Mum in a Muddle!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the year and seeing what I can do - as well as celebrating other people's successes too.

Julie xx