Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Monday, 22 March 2010

Feeling Old

A lad I was reading with today pointed to an illustration in his book and asked "what's that green thing?"  It was a picture of a woman (secretary) at her desk using a type writer. The green thing was the type writer. He'd never seen one before. I couldn't believe it!  I told him it was what they used to write on before computers were invented. Oh my God, I actually remember a time before computers were invented! He seemed in awe of the fact that I knew what it was. I hadn't the nerve to ask him how old he thought I was, after the blow from my daughter who aged me at about 20 years older than I am!

It got me thinking about how fast technology changes and evolves these days. We already have devices for storing hundreds of books electronically on and computers that can send manuscripts anywhere within the world with Internet connection in seconds. What are we going to have by the time this 7 year old lad reaches my great old age? I find it both amazing and a bit scary! Will we be able to keep up with these technological advances as we age? We have come a long way since the quill. I think I know how my parents felt when all these new fangled computers came out. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and we never had a type writer or anything like it. I didn't have a word processor until 1991 when I saved up and bought one for my nursing course.

We didn't have the Internet until 1997! I have to admit that I was little worried by the Internet  -  I didn't understand it. It wasn't until I started the Open University Creative Writing Course that I had to have it. Now I don't know how I ever got by without it before - I certainly couldn't be without it now. It's opened so many new doors for me and given me lots of opportunities I wouldn't otherwise have.

What do you think we will have in the future to make our writing/reading lives easier?

Happy writing

Julie

11 comments:

klahanie said...

Greetings Julie,
Yes indeed, technology has come a long ways.
I took typing classes in high school. We started off using manual typewriters. Then they brought in these weird ones that plugged into the wall! Of course, the fact that out of a class of 30 students, only 2 of us were guys, had nothing to do with me taking typing:-)
Personally, I wouldn't want anything to make my writing or reading any easier. However, when I think about it; maybe I could have a little machine beside my bed that writes down all those inspiring thoughts I have in my dreams but fade out when I wake up.
Take care Julie. Always a pleasure interacting with you via the(what's it called again)..oh yes..'the internet:-)
Happy reading and writing, with respect, Gary x

Carole Anne Carr said...

At least you haven't been asked if you were alive when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, Julie... question posed by an infant in my class!
One friend who saw your photograph on my blog asked 'who is the young girl?'
:0)

Julie P said...

A machine that records all your inspired thoughts for writing projects overnight would be fantastic, Gary! One that interfaces with your brain direct so you don't have to say anything, just think it, and it converts your brain waves into writing on some sort of device you can then plug into your computer to retrieve the data would be grand!!

I couldn't remember what those new fangled computerised machines that hold thousands of books on was called yesterday!

Thanks, as ever, for your wonderful and welcome comments.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Young girl, Carole?! Hah! That's made my day that has. That's one of the perks of being married to an older man too!

I've never been asked if dinosaurs were around when I was little (well not yet anyway LOL!) Although I do tease Isobel about her dad having a pet T-Rex when he was a boy!! ;0)

Take care

Julie xx

womagwriter said...

It is amazing how quickly the internet has become essential, isn't it?

What will happen in the future? Well who knows. No one predicted the internet revolution.

I wonder about e-readers. I think they have their place but there'll always be a place for printed books. You can't read your ereader in the bath, for example. Well you could, but you'd bugger it up if you dropped it!

I expect we will become more streamlined with technology. Instead of a TV and a computer and a music system, we'll have one device doing everything and piping what's needed throughout the house. We've already seen this to some extent - no one buys a printer and a scanner and a fax machine these days. One gizmo does the lot.

And wires will disappear - that hideous tangle of cables under your desk will be a thing of the past. They're already going - I am typing this on a laptop with wireless broadband connection, and a wireless connection to a printer.

Battery life will get longer, and laptops/netbooks will get lighter. So we'll be able to write away from home for longer. More places will install wifi, so you can be connected whereever you are.

I could go on! But that's enough. Write an article about it -do!

Julie P said...

E-readers! Thank you Womag! That's what they are called - duh! I've recently gone wireless with my computer but only because the old router broke down. I can look forward to Internet freedom down the bottem of the garden this Summer, if we get any decent weather!

I think I can indeed feel another article coming on!

Thanks, Womag! Let's hope we can keep up with all the new technology flinging itself at us!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

I learned to type on an old imperial typewriter, the keys were so heavy I could hardly press them and so moved onto an electric one which I gave to Mom a few years ago. I love the thought that she typed out her entire book on it! I would have given up after the first page I think.

Mike said...

Julie, while you're still a young woman the keyboard will vanish. QWERTY will become as arcane and ridiculous as abracadabra. Folk won't have over-developed texting thumbs, either. And I'm not talking about voice recognition software; voice is too slow. I don't know how it will work, but it'll use the power of the brain in a more direct way. It'll be a boon for people with disabilities, but the real money for development will come from the technology-hungry who can't wait a whole year for their next new phone.

Mike xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di!

I learned some typing skills as part of a social care course I did at Brignorth college in 1987/89. It was where I met my husband! That was on an electric typewriter, if my memory is correct!

I think your mom's amazing - and just shows that it's still possible to get published without a computer! I'm after one of those mini laptop netbook thingies! I can't get over how tiny they are, and I'm in awe of all this WiFi business!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Mike!


I've seen some of those all-in-one computers that seem to have suddenly sprung up everywhere that use touch screen techmology, so yes, I think the days of the keyboard are numbered.

I do hope they develop some kind of typing/word processing device that makes it so much easier for those with disabilities to write etc. I would love some way of getting my thoughts down before thet escape into the ether! I can't write of type fast enough sometimes and I forget my thread!

It's going to be an interesting time!

Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Oh, dear. I hate to say it, but I learned to type at college in the Sixties (trying to whisper that bit!) on typewriters of course. My Mum was a typing teacher (at my college, but she refused to have me in her class, can't think why!)so I was used to typewriters, we had one at home and I messed around writing my little stories on it. Then when I went out to work I was given this strange thing called a Golfball typewriter, very scary. Working for the NHS though, we didn't change from typewriters to computers until the mid 1990s - and we didn't get one at home till 1999, when I wanted the internet to keep in touch with my daughters when they went travelling. Up till then, I'd been doing all my writing work on a 'personal word processor' because I didn't see the point of having an expensive piece of machinery like a computer at home! Now ... such a short time later, really ... I'd be absolutely, completely, lost without it. As you say: what next?!