Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Grocer's apostrophe and tea for two

As I was sitting in the consultant's waiting room this morning at the hospital I glanced at the notice board where they display the doctor's name, estimated waiting time, nurse in charge etc, and saw that someone had written 'Dr Bartons clinic'. I had visions of several clones of Dr Barton wondering the corridor and calling their patients in. I know the NHS is keen to lower waiting times but I hadn't realised that they had developed the technology to increase their workforce in this way! It did make me giggle.

I had a wonderful pot of Earl Grey tea and two freshly baked scones with jam and cream in my favourite cafe in Much Wenlock this afternoon. I was accompanied by Brenda (Carter) the My Weekly Mystery!  See I told you she's a real person!  It was so nice to catch up and have a lovely chat about writing: tea and scones with a writing buddy  -  what could be better?! (apart from a publishing contract). Good for the soul and the writing.

Happy writing

Julie xx

12 comments:

womagwriter said...

Say Hi to Brenda from me! Yes, tea, scones and a writing buddy to gossip with takes a lot of beating.

Mike said...

My Weekly Mystery.

Julie, what a wonderful idea! Everyone should have at least one mystery a week, life would be more exciting. I'm under strict instructions not to reveal my current mystery, but I'm determined to have one every week from now on.

Mike xx?

Suzanne Jones said...

The errant apostrophe always annoys me (although have to admit I've occasionally erred myself - but blame it on typos rather than ignorance).

Sounds like you had a great afternoon.

XX

Simon Whaley said...

Seen on a pub menu yesterday ...

"Medley of potato's, served with a basil sauce."

Oh well.

Martin H. said...

"Earl Grey tea and two freshly baked scones with jam and cream.." sounds delightful.

Elizabeth McKay said...

Perhaps the NHS is trying to save money by cutting down on the use of apostrophes.

I agree that spending time in a nice restaurant talking to someone about writing is lovely. I'm meeting three writing buddies for lunch on Saturday - but Much Wenlock has a more writerly ring to it than plain old Glasgow!

Julie P said...

Hi, Womag - yes we talked about you and My Weekly who have now accepted Brenda's story following a bit of rewriting so she is very happy! She's having trouble accessing Blogger at the moment but she hopes normal transmission will resume soon!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I love mysteries, Mike, so I agree! We should have at least one mystery a week - I have visions of you looking mysterious in a mac wearing a red carnation waiting on platform for the train from Inverness to come in!


Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oh I've made some blinding grammatical errors in my time and I still do - I hold my hand up to it! But I hate doing it and seeing it elsewhere too. I think we are a dying breed, Suzanne! Some people today just don't seem bothered about grammer.

It's not like the old day - sucks gums and plops teeth in the glass!!

Julie xx

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hah, Simon! Did you not take your pen and correct it? I was itching to correct the one I saw in the hospital yesterday! But I didn't think they'd see the funny side of it.

Best not to antagonise hospital staff who may one day be brandishing a needle at a delicate area!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Oh Martin it was! And if any of you are in the Wenlock area let me know and we'll all go and have scones, jam and cream and a cuppa!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I hope you have a lovely time on Saturday, Elizabeth - have a cuppa on me!

Julie xx