Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Thursday, 25 March 2010

TAWKies

Nothing to do with writing  - just a proud mum boasting but my lovely and talented daughter Isobel aged five who has just won her first award! The TAWKies are a Telford and Wrekin inter-school ICT competition with catregories for drawings, photographs and animation/short films. Isobel won in her category of animation film for her entry The Bear Went Over The Mountain (a little bear did indeed hop over the mountain!) The award ceremony was held at the local theatre and winners had to go on stage to collect their trophies and certificates. It was fab  -  just like a mini Oscars for kids!

Isobel was so proud and accepted her award with grace and dignity while me, her dad, the other kids in her class and the rest of the parents were hollering and cheering and punching our fists in the air in a most undignified manner but we didn't care  - our girl had done good!! Her school won three awards in all and Isobel had been involved in making two of the animations that won. If I can get hold of her little animation I'll post it on here.

There, boasting over. I am now going to lie down in a darkened room  -  that's far too much excitement for one day!

Julie xx

8 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

What a wee star. Huge congratulaions to your little winner, Julie. I really hope you get to post the film, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it.

XX

Elizabeth McKay said...

Boast away, Julie. I'm cheering here. I bet she was so proud going up to get her award. What a lovely day.

Elizabeth McKay said...

Julie, I meant to ask - is the bear okay? I hope it didn't get hurt going over the mountain!

Sue Ross said...

This is just the beginning...
Well done Isobel.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I'm hoping to be able to get her animation next week so I can post it on here - she had great fun taking her trophy to school this am and showing it to her friends!! And when I was in Key Stage 2 class about to do the reading the teacher told his class about the TAWKies and said that my daughter had won one - his class did too and he's quite rightky proud of the trophy! The school won four (one more than I originally thought) which is fab. I'm really proud of all the kids and teachers who took part.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Yes, the bear's fine (I think!) It does have a rather pained/shocked expression though!. They played it on a big screen on stage and I hadn't got my glasses with me but it looked wonderful as far as I could see.

The best thing is that it's really boosted her confidence and that's what we were having some issues with. She also goes to a brilliant self confidence boosting session at school with a friend of mine (also an ex-nurse) who retrained as a teaching assistant and that's been such a help too.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue

It's been such a fantastic experience for her. The whole school was buzzing with their TAWKie success this morning when I was in doing the reading.


Julie xx

Olivia Ryan said...

What lovely news! I bet Isobel was so chuffed, almost as chuffed as her mum and dad! xx