Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Sunday, 11 April 2010

A special Story

I will post below a special story written by my five year old daughter Isobel. She wrote it after being inspired by the three poets/authors she's seen over the weekend and she asked me if I'd put it on my blog. So, I am proud to present to you The Swimming Race by Isobel - her debut story!

THE SWIMMING RACE

Mum said they could go for a swimming race to win a trophy and be a champion. When they got home they played with their toys and had an ice cream. And then they went for a walk down the street. When they got home they put their pyjamas on. Then they went upstairs to brush their teeth and then they went to bed and Mum read them a story about swimming. And then Mum switched the light off and they went to bed.

When it was morning they went ownstairs and they had porridge for their breakfast. And then they went to their cousin's house and they played for a bit. Their names were Bill, Alesha and Isobel. Then they went home  and Emily came to stay for five weeks. Then they went to school. Emily had to go in her car because Isobel didn't have any room in her car because she had got Jamie in it. Mummy went to school the wrong way. so they told Mummy where to go.

So they did, and when they got to school Miss had got the hiccoughs and all the class laughed and laughed. The teacher said "It's not funny."  The children couldn't stop laughing. Miss said it again. "It's not funny." So the children tried and tried not to laugh. They held their mouths.

The End
By Isobel. S. Phillips  2010

I think we have competition!

23 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

Yes, Julie, and especially interesting, her acute observation of others and her description of how the 'children' were concerned not to upset the teacher's feelings.

Carole xx

Suzanne Jones said...

Tell Isobel I love her story. She's a very talented young lady.

XX

Olivia Ryan said...

I'm very impressed, Julie! She has definitely inherited your talent! xx

Olivia Ryan said...

I'm very impressed, Julie! She has definitely inherited your talent! xx

Julie P said...

I hadn't picked up on that, Carole. But it's true, she adores her teacher. You're right, though,it's interesting that she would choose to concentrate on this in her story.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

I certainly will, Suzanne! The young author has retired to her bed after a hard morning at the poetry festival, but I'm sure she'll be thrilled when I show her the blog tomorrow!
Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Olivia! Oh she's far more intelligent and talented than I'll ever be! She was sitting on my lap dictating her story to me and I typed it as she said it - he's a bit like a young Barbara Cartland - likes to wear pink, has a love of small furry animals and likes to dictate her books!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I think we have a new member of Wrekin Writers!

Julie P said...

She'll oust me out! She won't want mother there cramping her style!

She's going to have her novel published before I get mine finished at this rate - time to get my skates on I think!
Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Wonderful! It's lovely to think she was inspired by the event too. Well done Isobel!

Sue Ross said...

Goodness me Julie.
You must be so proud.

Julie P said...

Thank you everybody. I like to write

From Isobel xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di,

I read all the comments out to her and she loved it! She's thinking about what she might write next after she's eaten a bit of her Easter egg.

You see all the hallmarks of a great writer are already there: she likes chocolate and had pinched all my pens and a notebook!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue!

She likes to write and I'm going to give her story to her teacher when we get back to school - she'll be thrilled she'd in the story along with some of Isobel's classmates - and her 'boyfriend' Jamie!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Olivia!

She's not doing bad considering she's five. I think she has such a fascinating imagination and it's wonderful for me to see her using it.

Julie xx

Elizabeth McKay said...

Great story, Isobel. I would have laughed too if I'd been in the class.

Kath said...

That's an excellent story, Isobel.

Joanne Fox said...

Aah, that's lovely. Well done Isobel.

womagwriter said...

Brilliant, Isobel! Fabulous characterisation. I especially liked the 'Mummy' character not knowing the way to school and all the children having to tell her. That could only happen in a story, couldn't it? ;-)

Julie P said...

Isobel says thank you very much, Elizabeth - she's amazed by the response she's had!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Kath

She really enjoys her writing and it's great for me to see her writing improve as she gets older

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Joanne

She is delighted with all the comments she has received - I think I'd better get writing myself or I'll be over taken by my own daughter - she'll be in TAB before I am!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Too true, Womag! As if Mummy would forget the way to school - she walks it umpteen times a day what with taking her to school and the lunchtime job!!

She loves to write and is so happy that everyone liked her story!

Julie xx