Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

First discussion

Thanks everyone for your positive response to my call for us do do a discussion/reading group. I'm sure it's going to be helpful to us as writers to move our writing forward. I'm feeling quite excited about it! I think it would be beneficial for us to have a few ground rules re the discussion and would welcome anyone's ideas on what they want from the forum.

I think, from the comments recieved, that we will start with short stories. I'd like to look at short stories from one woman's magazine at a time and if there are no objections I'd like to start with TAB Fiction Feast. If over the next week we can have a read through of the latest edition of this magazine and pick out a story each that we like or one that doesn't engage us and we'll think about the following things:

*Title
*The opening sentence/paragraph
*The theme/storyline
*Dialogue
*Characters
*Pace
*Setting
*Structure
*Word count
*Tone/language
*Middle
*Ending
*Why you think it got published
*Does it follow the magazine's submission Guidelines?
*What we can use from the above to improve our own writing and increase our chances of publication?

Is there anything else that you think might be useful?

I am hoping to post our findings/discussion a week today on the 19th May in the evening. If you already have a story from this magazine that you would like to discuss then please email me and I will ensure that you can post your findings on here so that we can open it up to comments from those who want to. I will make sure that everyone gets to say what they want to about their chosen story and that we have an open discussion.

I know it goes without saying that everyone's views will be treated with respect  -  I don't want any fighting! I bruise like a peach!

Happy reading!

Julie xx

6 comments:

Suzanne Jones said...

This is a brilliant idea, Julie.

XX

Simon Whaley said...

Interesting idea. What about considering viewpoint too?

Julie P said...

Thanks Suzanne - it will be interesting to see what we all come up with

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Simon - I knew there was something I missed!

Julie xx

Milton said...

Hi Julie

Count me in too.

Milt x

Julie P said...

Will do Milt!

Julie xx