Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Tuesday, 1 June 2010

I like Australia!

I've just received my payment for the story I had accepted  by That's Life Magazine (Australia!) So if any of you are in Australia look out for my story in That's Life, Issue 23 I think they said. If you have a copy would someone mind sending me one? I will pay for the mag and postage of course! Last time I didn't automatically get a copy of the magazine and had to ask for one from the publisher.

This payment has given me the urge to get cracking on some more short stories now. Can I make a hat trick in the same magazine? Watch this space!

I've now finished the first edit of my NaNo novel. This was an interesting and enjoyable exercise (I enjoyed it more than I though I would!) I did a read through of the compete novel. I'd written it without reading what I'd written so it was great to get a sense of the story as a whole rather than snippets as I raced through to the end when I was writing it.

I'm actually quite excited about it as there is a story lurking in there with some quite strong characters that I'm looking forward to getting to know better as I do the second edit in a couple of weeks. Because NaNo encourages you to just write without planning and striving for perfection, I wrote the novel topsy turvey. I'm, in essence, planning it out within the framework I have. So now I'm writing down the characters and their traits/appearance/personalities and their relationships between each other. I'm also doing a breakdown of each chapter and noting what happens in each chapter so I have a better sense of story progression. I definitely have a beginning, middle and end but need to pay more attention to detail and tidy it al up somewhat. In some chapters I've gone off on a completely different tangent so that needs sorting out, but on the whole I'm quite surprised that I did as well as I did,. It could have been a whole lot worse!

Happy writing

Julie xx

12 comments:

Christine said...

Enjoy that lovely feeling following receipt of a payment!

NaNo sounds exciting. I have seen other mentions of it on blogs. Is the idea to write a novel in a month - simply bash on and get down as much as you can?

Julie P said...

I will, Christine, I will! I never know when the next one is going to come! It took me a year between the last one and this one (tee hee!)

NaNo was such a wonderful experience for me and I'm so glad I did it. Yes, you have to write 50,000 words over the 30 days of November which you can upload to the NaNo website for verification and you get a certificate at the end of it.

It was great for me because it gave me the motivation I needed to sit down and actually write the words. I doubt I would have done it if it wasn't for NaNo. They are really supportive and their website has a great community and forums to keep you going - they are very supportive. I was lucky as there were a group of us taking the NaNo challenge at the same time so the support was fantastic.

I decided to take my novel further after NaNo and added another 25,000 words. From November the 1st to the first edit that I completed yesterday, it's taken me 7 months so far! I'm hoping to have something decent by the time the year is out. I might even do the NaNo challenge again this year - who knows!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Congratulations Julie, It makes it very real when you receive payment doesn't it? It's a shame it's not easy to get a copy though, as it must be wonderful to see your story in print. Well done and good luck with your future stories, I think you will get a hat trick!
Love Di
x

Christine said...

Thanks for that full response, Julie. I might even give the NaNo challenge a 'go' this year. It sounds like an amazing thing to participate in.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Di

It's just a great feeling that not only has your work been published but someone has actually paid you money for it!

Fingers crossed I can write some more that they will, and other magazines will publish!

Julie xx

Julie P said...

It was a brilliant thing for me to do, Christine, so I'd certainly reccomend it. If anything it told me that I do have the stamina and determination to write a novel.

Good luck

Julie xx

Sue Ross said...

Well done again Julie, both for the novel and for the short story.
I'd really love to see your stories Julie.

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
Whenever I think of Australia, the name Alice springs too mind. I wonder where was Mel born? Sorry, is that all you Canberra? :-)
Hey congratulations and here's to you getting a 'hat trick'.
Keep going and happy writing.
Kind wishes, Gary x

Julie P said...

Hi, Sue. I've added you to the author list on Analyse This so you can join in. I'll probably post my manuscript and the story up later today for people to see. I'm hoping it might be useful.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary!

Hee hee hee! I love Australia!

Julie xx

L'Aussie said...

Congratulations Julie on being published in That's Life. They publish a lot of overseas authors. I will check through my copies of FF and see if I can find your story.

I also loved the NaNo experience. To me it proved I do have it in me to write a novel. I had plenty of notes already done, so chugging off 50,000 words was a lot easier than I thought. Like you, I am editing it now and really have quite a good story. Hope some editor somewhere agrees!

I don't like Australia, I love Australia, despite the cheeky comments. It really is the Queens Land - Gary!!

And That's Life pays so much better than say a pocket novel where you have to write 30,000 for very little money...sigh...

Julie P said...

Hi L'Aussie! Thanks - if you have a spare copy floating around - it's Issue 23 of That's Life not the Fast Fiction one but the weekly mag I think - I would be grateful if you could send me a copy or scan it? I'm quite prepared to pay for the mag and postage if you have one!

Good luck with your NaNo novel - it's such a rewarding and challenging exercise isn't it?!

Yes, Gary is one for the puns! I don't know how he comes up with them! I've sent another one off to the same mag so we'll see - I can't believe I'm twice published on the other side of the world! But I can't seem to crack the UK market! Not that I'm complaining as it's such a thrill for me to try and write something great for them and they do pay well, as you say.

Good luck

Julie xx