Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Friday, 16 July 2010

Excited (how sad I know.) And when am I going to get another sale?

Well, it's been a crazy old week to say the least. I've been very tired for some reason and had little time to even think about writing let alone do any. My weekly writing agenda has flown right out of the window. Who was it who said they liked the little whooshing sound deadlines make as they fly by? I like that person, whoever it was!

After the excellent mood I was in with managing to write the first draft of a short story whilst my daughter danced the hour away last Saturday, I'm afraid that's as far as it got! Here was me telling everyone to utilise every spare minute they have to write and have I heeded my own advice? Have I heck! Please feel free to give me a severe telling off.

I'm disappointed that I haven't managed to get any of the short stories I wrote edited to send out to the women's magazines, but on a more positive note, they are still there in their rough state waiting for me to get my act together (having something on paper is better than having nothing at all). And I have had another flurry of ideas for short stories - so I shan't run out of short story fodder for a while.

It was like I was saying last time, it's all about priorities and working out how much you want to write and how badly you want to be published. At the moment, it seems, although I would dearly love to get a run of short stories published here in the UK (okay I'd actually settle for just one!) and some more in Australia, I just haven't put the work in for me to be able to get enough stories out there. My fault, my problem - and only I can rectify that. Which I will be doing. One more week at school has been my mantra! I must be the only mother who has kids at school who is looking forward to the summer hols!

I'm excited because it's the Wrekin Writers' meeting tomorrow and I'm soooooo looking forward to that, Could do with my enthusiasm and motivation tanks refilling. Oh, and Simon, don't forget the whip.
I'm also excited because in the coming school year I'm starting the first ever after school creative writing club at my daughter's school. I've been thinking about offering my writing skills to the school for ages and after the success of the gardening club I recently took over in school, I've decided to go for it. I'm looking forward to planning it and getting the kids really engaged in the writing process.

Have a happy writing weekend.

Julie xx

6 comments:

Sue Ross said...

You'll love the writing group with the kids Julie. They have their own way of looking at things.
Very refreshing.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Well done you, and it will help you with your own creativity. Hugs..

HelenMHunt said...

Good luck with the short stories. You'll get there in the end x

Julie P said...

Thanks, Sue

I can't wait to start the after school writing club - something a bit different. I love the things kids come out with.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Carole. I'm hoping so. I'm hoping to really get the kids engaged in the writing process and have some fun with them.

Julie
xx

Julie P said...

Thanks, Helen

I do hope so!

I'm working on a short story tonight. Will let you know how I get on!

Julie xx