Julie's Quest

Hello, and welcome to my blog. My blog is about the trials and tribulations of writing, where we celebrate successes and commiserate our near misses. We tell it like it is here and will do our very best to help you on the road to being published and pick you up after the rejections (they will come!) Whether you are a professional or amateur writer you will find something useful here.

I hope you enjoy reading my posts and will visit again soon.

Happy Writing

Julie Phillips - freelance writer - member of the Association of Freelance Writers - member of the Society of Authors

Saturday, 24 July 2010

Now the hard work begins!

It's been a mad rush to the finish at school, including yesterday's rather emotional departure were some of the mum's were crying, including, blub, me! I was okay until the teacher, who has had this present cohort of children since they started nursery, started to well up and that was it! I seem to pick up on other people's emotions very easily and they sometimes roll over onto me. The thing is, we'll all be there at the same school  come September, albeit with different teachers but this particular teacher will still be around too!

 But I feel like I've turned over the page now and I am about to begin a new chapter in my life - literally! So here we are at the start of the six week school holidays and I promised myself that I would:

A) Get at least one short story a week written and sent out. This isn't actually going to be a  problem seeing as I already have five at 1st draft stage and another two in note form in my book.

B)Get the second edit of my NaNo novel done (more of a challenge!) 75,000 words entails a lot of editing, particularly a I haven't tried to write and edit a novel before. It's thrilling but nerve racking too. Will I have the nerve to try and get it polished and sent out to agents/publishers in due course? Or will my self doubt resurface and stop me? We shall see.

I felt excited at the prospect of doing more writing again until I received another rejection from TAB! (Bangs head on desk several times!) But, in the true spirit of being positive, I have filed it away and will look at it again in a couple of weeks time  to see if I can't improve it and send it elsewhere. I know I am capable of getting a short story published so now I want to push ahead and get some more published. I can't get something I haven't written and sent out there published. And I'm not going to let one new rejection put me off are you?

Happy holiday writing

Julie xx

14 comments:

Martin H. said...

Stick with it Julie. You're an inspiration!

Carole Anne Carr said...

I love the new look of your blog. And a great positive post. You'll get there, as I've often said before. Many hugs, Carole. xx

Lynne Hackles said...

Perhaps this time next year will be even more manic as you get ready for Writers' Holiday!
I've had three stories back from Fiction Feast this week. Norah must be having a clear out.
My 24 hour rule will have to be postponed - send out rejected stories again within 24 hours. They can wait until after Caerleon.

Julie P said...

Thanks, Martin.

I'm hoping I can really grasp my new found energy and put more effort into my writing over the holidays - I'll certainly have more time on my hands which is a bonus!

I think my priorities had changed temporarily over the last few months and it's time to reroute myself.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Carole

Hope all is well. Yes I had a play with the new template creator on blogger last night and came up with this - I love it too!

I'm feeling more energetic today. Last week I was so tired, all I wanted to do was sleep. But I've got my get up and go back now.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

They have clearouts every now and then don't they, Lynne! I'm hoping to send at least two out by the end of the week. I haven't got any out for consideration at the moment (tut, tut, tut. I know. I know!)

Oh I do hope I shall be frantically rushing round like a mad writer woman in preparation for the writer hol next year! I shall be so excited.

The plan is to sell enough short stories/articles to fund the writing holiday and a new laptop - the challenge is on!

It will be great to actually meet with other writers and bloggers in the flesh!

Julie xx

Diane Perry said...

Glad to hear you are not letting the rejection get to you, we have to grow a thick skin don't we? I did feel a bit deflated when I received one the other day but now I have my fighting spirit back so will be sending it off almost straight away.
You will have another story accepted, just don't stop believing it!
Di
xx

Olivia Ryan said...

Hi Julie
Been away from Blogland for a while but pleased to see you are still busy, and love the new look of your blog! Sounds like you have lots of projects to work on. Good luck with your stories. xx

Julie P said...

Hi, Di!

Yup, got to keep writing and getting the work out there - it's the only way if you want to get published. I just think back to how I felt when I had my short stories published and it soon gets me back on track and raring to go again.

I've had a bit of a break over the weekend, though. But tomorrow my husband and daughter are going ice skating so I can get a bit of writing done.

Julie xx

Julie P said...

Hi,Olivia

and welcome back! I thought my blog could do with a face lift - glad you like it.

Oh yes, I'm still at it, albeit not as avidly as before. But I'm definitely going to try and get as much writing as I can done over the school hols. And hopefully get a couple more sales too!

Julie xx

klahanie said...

Hi Julie,
That's the spirit! You have a passion and true love for writing. Your continued positive focus will be the catalyst to ongoing resilience.
Wishing you the very best and happy writing. Love your new template.
With respect, Gary x

Julie P said...

Hi, Gary. How are you? Thanks so much for your lovely comments. I do feel like I'm entering a new phase with my writing and I'm finding my new found writing time invigorating!

My daughter is at her school's holiday club for the next three days and my husband is at work so it's just me, my cats and laptop!

Julie xx

Simon Whaley said...

I was doing my workshop about Rejecting Rejection today at Caerleon, and Paula Williams came up with the best one. She received a letter from My Weekly magazine rejecting a story on the grounds that it was aimed at a readership that was too young. Two days later, a copy of My Weekly popped through the letter box, with her 'aimed at too young an audience' short story published inside it!

Julie P said...

That's cracking, Simon! It did make me smile. Did she tell the editor or let it go? I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

Julie xx